The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

If you like WordPress MU, Don't Give Up On It (16 posts)

1. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I first come across WordPress MU about just over a month ago.
    Its hard going yes,lucky for me I had a good admin at my reseller site who set up the server side and things, but even then there was a lot of things to learn,but I searched the forum and Google 24/7, I still have a lot to learn, but the forum members have been brilliant in their replies and help, if you ask a sensible question you will get a sensible answer, but if you ask a silly question, you'll be Googling all day.My site is now set up I'm pleased with it, I have added things from different themes to make a reasonable looking site, I have experimented with different things, if they did not work I tried something else, I even have a shout box working on my site.
    So remember all you that are about to give up on Wordpress MU, don't. Patience is a virtue, and I'd like to say thanks forum members, without this forum I don't think I could have managed.

2. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

My first try at Mu was waaay back when it first came out. It wasn't ready and I wasn't ready to deal with it. But I loved WordPress so Mu was always in the back of my mind.

Both Mu and I have come a long way since our first encounter, and I'm glad I came back for seconds.

3. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ahhh.. the days of smarty templates, I remember them well!

I couldn't agree more about the great support and development of mu, it has been quite a ride since this:

http://incsub.org/blog/2005/holy-shit-ive-done-it

Select quote: "This is going to change things!" :)

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wonder if Donncha ever got that beer. :)

5. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for all the replies to my post, has anybody tried phpbb.3.00.Thats the latest beta version.The reason I am asking is that there is a plugin for WordPress MU so that it is compatible with both phpBB and MU, and how hard is it to implement into MU.and I am thinking about adding a forum to my MU site.
    Also could you look at my finished site and give your comments on it, whether its reasonable, mediocre or holy shit.
    http://www.uk2uonline.info.

Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Most" folks use bbPress, as it will work with MU.

Instead of PhpBB, if that's the style you "really" want, I'd recommend SMF.

It doesn't have an integration with MU, and you won't get help from there making one, but you could make one if you wanted.

PhpBB beside SMF, and SMF is the better choice. Since neither have an MU integration, that takes that out of the loop.

7. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm working on it ;)

8. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Regarding phpBB or SWF, I already use SWF on another of my sites in conjunction with MKPortal and I do like SWF, But re Wordpress mu and phpBB, has any body seen this post at http://happypoet.com/hackery/wphpbb/directions/ there is even a plugin for using phpBB with MU.

9. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have added SMF at / public_html / forum which is in the same root where I have mu installed, but the problem I am getting is this.
    When I point my browser to mysitedomain/forum/install.php, it takes me to my wordpress.mu main page with the following error
    Not Found, Error 404. The page you are looking for no longer exists.. where am I going wrong

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You'll need to modify your htaccess file in your public_html directory, so that it ignores requests to the /forum directory.

Check the bbpress tag here, as there are a few examples of doing this with htaccess. Yes, the threads say bbpress, but htaccess doesn't care what software is in the directory, just that it has to ignore it.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great thread. :)

"Also could you look at my finished site and give your comments on it, whether its reasonable, mediocre or holy shit."

OH MY EYES!!!

j/k... Not a fan of the blinky bits, but the rest looks good. :D

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not sure there is much to "critique", really.

It's really no different than someone using kubrick and asking for opinions. Now if you designed your own theme, that would be different. ;)

Although, I'd leave out the blinky stuff too. 1996 called, and they would like it back. :)

13. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for reply lunabyte I have given the blinky stuff back to 1996 as ordered lol, and have tried something else,it might not be your cup of tea, but I'm still trying to improve things bit by bit.used theme gen and altered things a little bit, I'm not savvy enough with php to make a complete theme, but I learn something different every time I visit the forum.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"I'm not savvy enough with php to make a complete theme"

You don;t need to be. :) Start with a good basic theme that is close to what you want and edit the stylesheet.

that's basically how the theme generator works - it creates a new stylesheet for ya.

edit after looking: If that's what you're going for, you coudl use this theme http://themes.wordpress.net/columns/2-columns/701/vistered-little-1/ and just replace the background.

I find the big pic in the background and in the post body distracting.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well mixle, we have to be kind to our seizure prone friends, right? :D

16. seanwedig
    Posted 16 years ago #

"You don;t need to be. :) Start with a good basic theme that is close to what you want and edit the stylesheet."

...while still being careful of licensing. Always check that the theme is published / licensed in a way to allow changes / modifications, especially if you ever think you might redistribute it.

It'll probably never matter, but just in case... :)

About this Topic