The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Themes with thumbnails (14 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm going to be very very cheeky here... and ask if anyone would like to zip up their collection of themes (with thumbnails) and share it with everyone else...

See, pretty cheeky!

Seriously though if anyone felt like doing that I'd be happy to host the download, say thanks etc ;)

james / at / incsub / dot / org

Thanx!

2. akbigdog
    Posted 18 years ago #

Done, except for the screenshots. See my blog post titled Download all WordPress themes in one file to download the themes.

3. JuanManuel
    Posted 18 years ago #

no, we dont want it without screenshots.... lol just kidding. Thanks alot!!!!

4. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

Pure ignorance I'm sure, but are all wordpress themes compatible with MU or do they need modifications? Also, any exceptional sources for designers that will do custom wordpress themes. (I can design stuff that works but I would like a few custom "premium" themes for use by special members.)

5. akbigdog
    Posted 18 years ago #

Most should be compatible, but you won't find any MU-specific functionality in them. For doing things such as listing most recently updated blogs and most active blogs, you will need to build pages utilizing the functions for those actions.

Do you have a WordPress.com account? There are some excellent themes available in the admin panel, and each author is credited with a link to their Web site. I am sure that if you approach the individual designers, you would find someone willing to help you. I like Blix by Sebastian Schmieg.

6. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Personally, I think wordpress.com's theme selection is a bit lacking. IMO, Pool is one of the ugliest themes out there (almost as bad as my "Head" theme...that's pretty bad).

Most themes will work with MU. Some themes can be customized further for MU (taking advantage of the functions available in MU/WP 1.6 to add theme options).

If you want custom themes, you could try a google search for custom blog design or custom wordpress design.

7. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Head is so bad it's good! Didn't know you made that, congrats!!!

Thanks for the big file akbigdog, as it happens I'm kinda lazily looking for someone who is happy to share their themes *with* screenshots... very very slack of me ;)

There are actually some significant issues with a lot of themes and WPMU... not that they don't work but that they frequently have links / images / text which is meant to be changed (and which can be changed very easily by an individual install) but that WPMU users can't change.

What would be really cools would be a selection of WPMU 'safe' themes... as you were saying techwench, ignoring the almighty amount of crap out there too!

Now... there's an area for that on the 'Download Page' that's itching to be scratched... Donncha, if you're out there, could we individually send you WPMU safe (and nice) themes to get put up there?

Cheers, James

8. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

it really only take 10 mins to do abomut 20 screen shots and upload everything

i use snagit7 for screenshots -- good program

ill try to zip what i have w/ screen shots

9. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

33 Themes with screenshots

http://www.sskhalsa.com/?p=64

10. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

haha @ TW, it really says something about WP.com's theme selection if I thought Pool was the best available for http://jaseone.wordpress.com :P

I've been contempalting making some user customizable themes for WPMU for a while now where the theme would check in the user's upload directory for files with a preset name, if they existed then the theme would use those if not then they would fall back on the default.

I don't know how that will work with the new "upload" fnctionality though but it should still work, the uploaded file would just also get created internally as a "post".

That customization would be so easy I'm surprised nobody has done it yet.

11. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hey Jasone, that's not a bad idea.

sskhalsa, what can I say, you're a legend!

12. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

haha acutally im not a legend

i just rememberd before i got in bed, I think i may have edited some of the sidebars with my adsense code before i zipped...so yeah, watch out for that.

ill redo it tommrow afternoon

peace

13. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thnakyou :)

14. sskhalsa
    Posted 18 years ago #

sorry for being a little late

but use the same link, i repacked the files without my added stuff

About this Topic