The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Official WordPress MU (WPMU) translation file needed (13 posts)

1. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, I just opened a new ticket in the trac: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/337

The idea is to request an official POT file for translating WPMU. WordPress has a similar file for localization and it works pretty good.

To make WPMU more appealing to more non-English bloggers, an official POT file will help quite a bit.

What do you guys think?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

To be honest, it will probably get put onto the users shoulders that desire it.

But, there's always hope.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I thought we had one. :-/ (I don't have a need for it though.)

4. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can't you just use one of the .po files with one of the translations at wpmudev.org? The Japanese files both have them.

5. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry that I did not make things clear here. I am proposing for the core WPMU to include an OFFICIAL pot file for every release. We do have a subversion repository for WPMU already for Simplified Chinese, but an official pot file will make things much easier later on. :)

6. KKWangen
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've just uploaded the .pot file I used when making the Norwegian translation of WPMU to WPMUDEV.org: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/wpmu.pot

It's for WPMU 1.2.1 - it is of course not official, but it might help people get along.

7. qza
    Posted 16 years ago #

If there is official pot file, how could you transfer phrases when new version comes out (or new skin, plugin installs etc.)? You'll have to use your old pot anyway, so learning to generate pot file yourself is necessary. It's not difficult though. So I think instead of including official pot file in package, detailed guide on creating pot file would be helpful.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then someone write one and submit it to trac for consideration. :)

9. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Only is I can write the New Yorker one. :)

"Yeah I got your plugins right here, pal!" :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmmm, now you're giving me ideas for a Canadian version.

"It's posted, eh."
    "Are you sure you want to save, ya hoser?"

11. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

Theme, plugin translation files should NOT be translated using the WPMU core POT file. The structure of WP makes it really easy to translate each individual theme or plugin. And that is why we have these two functions:

load_plugin_textdomain() and load_theme_textdomain()

Separating the core translation from the theme and plugin translation makes it easy for adding new themes and plugins.

The problem is to educate all the theme/plugin authors to make their theme or plugin compatible with the WP gettext system. Anyway, improvements on this topic are being discussed on the wp-hackers maillist now.

12. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wouldn't an offical file skip over the plugins anyway?

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by kingler
  • Latest reply from lunabyte