The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Disallow registration (only the admins can create blogs for the users) (5 posts)

1. sniper89
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey, as you can see by reading the topic I'd like to restrict the registration feature in my Wordpress MU installation so only the admins could create blogs (I want to give free blogs for my friends and people I know that will use the space I give them properly). So, is there anything allowing you to do that without modifying the PHP scripts yourself?

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, consider adding a "request" feature, so an admin can set it f he wants to review blog creation requests instead of allowing people to create the blogs right away.

2. seanwedig
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey, sniper89,

This is a pretty commonly asked for feature (I need it too, and do it through slightly hack-y means), and there's some plugin code out there for this in the forums.

The search, though limited, is pretty good in this case. "disable signup" turns up much relevance. :)

Cheers.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can also delete or rename the wp-signup.php file or put in a die(); right at the beginning. The only other way new blogs would then be created is via the form at the bottom of the Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Blogs page.

4. sniper89
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I know a bit of PHP (I'm a web developer :P) and I just wanted to know whether there's an official or something-like-that way to do this.

If I'd be doing this feature (might do, but I'm really busy recently) it'd put an additional column in the WP blogs table (if there isn't any yet) indicating whether a blog is active, so when you request it an entry is created but with active set as 0, then the admin could be able to activate the blog (accept the request) via the "Site Admin" panel.

Anyway, thanks! ;)

5. djsteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by sniper89
  • Latest reply from djsteve