The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem Creating New Blog (14 posts)

1. andrerw
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

In wp-newblog.php when I try to create a new blog, no matter what I type as the usernameI get:

There was a problem, please correct the form below and try again.

Warning! Sorry, that blog already exists!

Any ideas?

2. cframe
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm getting the same error but only when not using vhosts. Of course as Im doing this on my mac I cant get the dns wildcards working right so the non-vhost option is the only one that would work, typical! ;)

Dont suppose anyone has any suggestions/ideas what mods need to be done to the code to get the non-vhost blog setup working?

3. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

Getting the same error.
    My webhost uses Plesk, the server admin put in a Wildcard for me. Then when I installed, I get this error.

Also, I have a couple of sites, one BBPress and one static, that are also hosted at the same domain, they are now unaccessable, whenever I call the directory and page directly I get the MUWP index page.

4. ballen
    Posted 18 years ago #

If you have multiple subdomains on the same domain pointing to different directories, you need to have the entry in the httpd.conf that is seperate from your wordpress entry ABOVE the wordpress domain entry in the httpd.conf. That will keep the others active. Other domains or subdomains of other domains shouldn't have to worry about this.

I really hope that made sense...

5. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

Doesnt make sense.

How does the httpd.conf affect the creation of new blogs. Everytime a new blog is created we get that error
    "Warning! Sorry, that blog already exists!"

The directories that I mentioned that are not loading (just returning to home page), they are not subdomains. They are just plain ol, boring regular directories.

6. ballen
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ok, don't know if I was looking at a different post and just posted my reply here, or was just not really all there yesterday, but to put it simply... My bad. :) I am really hoping that I was looking at another post... Would feel like less of an idiot. heh

7. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this is happening? I am pretty sure it has something to do with the Wildcard, possibly mod_Rewrite and or htaccess, but my skilz in those areas are severly lacking.

ballen: we all have days like that. Thanks anyway though.

8. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

OK, I now feel pretty silly.
    I think I figured part of the problem, at least with the "Warning! Sorry, that blog already exists!" problem. When trying to set up blogs to test the install, I was using different blog names, but I kept using the same email address. I started using unique email address and I was able to create blogs.

Now when I go to the subdomain address to view or sign in, I get a plesk setup administration page.
    Still not able to access non-subdomain directories.

9. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Because of the intense use of rewrite rules and the way mu is setup, you'll either have to edit the main .htaccess file to allow non-mu directories to pass straight through, or turn off rewrite in those directories.

To turn off rewrite in those directories, just create a new .htaccess file with the following text, and upload it into each directory you want to access:

RewriteEngine Off

...of course, turning it off won't help if those directories use rewrite rules of their own...

10. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

The Admins at from my webhost sorted out the subdomain issue. I am not sure what they did, but it all works like a breeze. I am trying to find out what they did, if I do I will pass it along.

Thanks for the info about the RewriteEngine, I had already done something similar, and dropped an .htaccess into the directories that I was having problems with, put my own rewrite stuff in there and they work just fine.
    Thanks

11. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ergate;
    I for one would be interested in finding out how to get Plesk to play nicely with mu. I've got the same problem you described re subdomains and I'm just that inch away from getting things to work properly; just need the subdomains to be visible from the web. They are actually being created, and can be accessed if I put entries for them in my local hosts file. Maybe that's pointing me towards the problem being something to do with the domain wildcard; I'm off to play and if I solve it I'll post here.

12. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

Delbert: (and whomever may be interested)
    Here is what I heard back from my sysadmin
    "Hello,

it was a minor issue only. Usually minor issued are overlooked and You simply don't see the solution. Needed to run websrvmng -av for the wildcard to take effect.

Regards"

13. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks Ergate. Appreciated. FWIW, I had run the websrvmng -av thang but now I think I know why it's not working (yet). I'll record it here at the risk of appearing very stupid, so that anyone else happening by who makes the same mistake can take some comfort:

Having gone through all the install instructions several times, I thought to check the DNS lookup and tjhis highlighted the fault (my fault). The domain was still on the registrar's nameserver, not it's own. So I've changed that to the domains own nameserver and I'm waiting for it to propagate. Here goes then...I'll post again if it works. Or not.

14. Delbert
    Posted 18 years ago #

Woot! It worked. All is well.

About this Topic