The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moved servers - subdomains down (24 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am in the middle of a disaster of epic proportions. Feel free to crow "I told you so". My original site hosts recently changed their TOS, then conveniently booted me off. Of course without notice.

And this on a site with around 200 blogs, cleaned up all the time.

Anyway. I have moved all my files, the db, redirected the domains (which is resolved already), and I still can't get the blogs back up.

Main blog and the backend is up, but with errors:
    "Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/homescho/public_html/wpmu-settings.php:401) in /home/homescho/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 67

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/homescho/public_html/wpmu-settings.php:401) in /home/homescho/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 68

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/homescho/public_html/wpmu-settings.php:401) in /home/homescho/public_html/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 69"

I created the DNS zone entry in WHM.

And the httpd.conf file is thus:
    <VirtualHost 75.126.42.219>
    ServerAlias homeschooljournal.net *.homeschooljournal.net
    ServerAdmin webmaster@homeschooljournal.net
    DocumentRoot /home/homescho/public_html
    BytesLog domlogs/homeschooljournal.net-bytes_log
    ServerName http://www.homeschooljournal.net

User homescho
    Group homescho
    CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/homeschooljournal.net combined
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/homescho/public_html/cgi-bin/
    </VirtualHost>

Can some kind soul help a gal out? I am just about cross-eyed after all the hours we've put in on this.

2. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can you please share the name of the host that changes the tos?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

site5.com - yes, shared. And yes, in the TOS they also state they can change the terms without notice at any time.

I think I narrowed down my problem. My IP from my new host isn't resolving to my domain. :-/ Even though from what I can see, it should.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just in case you're following the saga - got the IP resolving to the domain, but still no virtual ones. I need more caffeine and a break before we comb over stuff again.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea...

I told you so.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not like to be a pain Andrea, but your case proves a very good point and is a lesson to anyone considering MU.

There's a reason that we keep chirping about MU being on a dedicated server, or for smaller sites a high-quality service like Media Temple's Grid Server.

Shared hosts can, and will (as seen here), boot resource intensive sites without notice or concern. Longtime client or not.

Andrea, if you're swapping name servers related to your domain and such, remember that it can take up to 24-72 hours for it to propagate the changes. It may not take that long, but unless you were using name servers outside of your old host, it may be a part of the problem.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I've touted the same lesson myself. I was just hoping to get through surgery and a house move before I had to swtich hosts. This happend on Tuesday, while movers were here lugging furniture out my front door, and I was furiously banging on the keyboard to point the domain to the new host.

So we can rule that part out. :) It's resolved.

(my ego is so bruised today)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Er, the domain is resolved - the problem persists. DNS records and the httpd.conf are correct, so I'm at a loss.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Whitespace at the end of a file somewhere?

Maybe try uploading those two files referenced again?

Maybe your FTP program is adding some space at the end?

Ssh into your account, and use vi to look at those files. If need be, edit and save.

Header errors like that are usually whitespace at the end of a file, after the closing ?>.

10. wessa27
    Posted 16 years ago #

Off-topic - very sorry. I have been trying to contact you lunabyte to contract you for a WPMU site move to a new server. Your email address just bounces back and also I get no response from the contact form on your website.

You had responded to me at one stage and so you have my email address. If you have time to make contact that would be great.

If not can you recommend how I would go about hiring someone from this forum for a WPMU site move? I am not sure how things work around here for posts of a commercial nature.

Thanks and sorry again for being off-topic,

Wes Davis

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry Wes, it's a holiday weekend.
    Back in the office tomorrow though.

12. wessa27
    Posted 16 years ago #

Cool. Can you get back to me with an address I can get you on, and also confirm whether you have time to do the job.

Sorry for hijacking the post andrea_r.

13. qza
    Posted 16 years ago #

I recently moved my wpmu site and encountered some problems. I'll list them just in case:
    1) After 8 days, it still hasn't completed propogation. My host moved all sites, and when I ask them, they checked and told me that nameserver information was wrong at one place.
    2) My site wasn't working, and when I check, DB hasn't backed up correct. It's 140MB sql file and cPanel fails to backup it. I did it myself.
    3) Also my subdomains weren't working, and it turned out that wildcard domain setting was not set.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Probably why Wes is contacting a professional. ;)

Wes,
    I'll shoot you an email in the morning. Not sure why you haven't been able to reply though.

// end (hopefully, lol) hijack

15. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

qza,

Sounds like your host did a half-assed job of moving your stuff. You should hire someone like Wes is doing, or move to a host that knows what it's doing.

16. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

andrea,when you say your DNS are correct, this includes the wildcard part right ?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Got it resolved. My new awesome hosts went and did it for me, because somehow we must'e done it off a little. Still haven't had a chance to go see.

18. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea: Who are your awesome new hosts? I am eliminating hosts one by one, they are dropping like flies, to get this running on a site without spending more than 12hours on the INSTALL ALONE. Havent managed it,completely, yet.

Judy

19. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm on a VPS at futurehosting.biz. It was recommended by another user here.

But you have to edit things on the server yourself, which if you're panicking and under pressure, takes a good 12 hours just to get things running. :D

install taking 12 hours??? that's nuts.

20. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Install shouldn't take but maybe 7 minutes, and that's including editing apache's config file, and creating the right DNS.

OK, so that's 2 minutes longer than the famous 5 minute install, but it really is a simple procedure.

(Excludes DNS propagation, if applicable)

21. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r: I came across this thread while investing issues arising after my move.

All I can say is this: If have problems moving from one host to another, what hope is there for a n00b like me.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, this *is* a year old thread. :D

23. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

And one year later, I'm still a n00b.

You know, I'm 45 -- that's too old to be a n00b.

Anyway .... MY site is back up. I still need to upgrade. Gonna wait until there's a final version of WPMU 2.6 (the release candidate worked great until I farked it up) and there are some instructions out there.

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yay for up sites. :)

Mr. Andrea is in that range as well.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from andrea_r