The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

problem with Japanese encoding (5 posts)

1. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi
    I've just installed the Japanese 1.2.1 language pack. My interface is now in Japanese, but there's a problem with the post encoding. Everything is as should be in the write window, but when I publish, all double byte characters end up as question marks.

What could I have done wrong?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

It sounds like either a php/mysql error or a browser identification error. Don't be insulted, but did you try seeing what your character encoding your browser is using when you view the page? Alternatively, and I'm not an expert here, the php mbstring extension could be missing on the server. I'm not sure how the kanji is handled for the admin menus, but it would seem that it should be handled the same as the posts, but since it is already in a php file, it doesn't have to be converted when stored in the mysql database, so this is a possibility.

3. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks.
    Come to think of it, it's likely not an encoding error - the string becomes question marks on publishing (not the usual mish-mash of characters), and the feed is exactly the same. I installed WordPressME and switched it to Japanese no problem last week, by the way.

I'll maybe try running through the install from scratch again. Maybe I missed something. What is the 'php mbstring'?

Thanks
    Mark

4. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

You shouldn't need to reinstall. If you are running your own Linux server, just go into your packages and search for php mbstring (I'm at work on windows so I can't remember exactly if it is provided by a package or is a package - it might be different in different distros). mbstring allows multi-byte characters by using UTF-8. Do a google search for a better explanation.

5. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks.
    I'm not running on my own server. It's a hosting plan.
    Regular WordPress worked on the same server, so I expect that means the problem isn't with php mbstring?

Thanks
    Mark

About this Topic