The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Mu and BBpress - up and running! (18 posts)

1. wwRoni
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can't belive I ACTUALLY HAVE users!

http://blogs.weightwatchen.com/

2. wwRoni
    Posted 16 years ago #

I forgot to say feedback, suggestions, comments, questions, criticism welcome. :~)

3. alaskanbob
    Posted 16 years ago #

Very cool. Congratulations.

How difficult was the integration? I've been thinking about it myself but I'm relunct to do it on a live site.

Bob

4. hempsworth
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well done!
    Could you explain how you got such a seamless integration, im trying to achieve this on a project im currently working on.

Thanks

5. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

Same concept: http://bui4ever.com/web-itecture/how_to_integrate_wordpress_and_bbpress/

Very nice setup BTW! I like the colors and the layout.

6. wwRoni
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't master the integration I'm just good at faking it! ;~)

First I followed the bbpress instructions listed on the site to share the user table from wordpress my. That was easy. I made a few changes to some cookies in bbpress a viola! Users logged into each!

The part I didn't master was loading mu on top of bbpress to have access to mu's functions. Everytime I did mu would think I was trying to great a blog named boards instead of going to the boards. KWIM?

Anyway, then I simply imported the mu style sheet to bbpres, made a few changes and put a static header on top that looked just like my mu header. That's really it! I told you I "faked" it. ;~)

7. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

so the functions work in both areas, now?

8. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

wwRoni, you just have to put:

<?php require_once('/absolute/path/to/WordPress Parent Directory/wp-blog-header.php') ?>
    on the very first line of your config.php file in BBPress and all functions of WPMU is usable. This way if you make changes to your header, you only have to do it one place. Plus doing so allows me to utilize Sidebar Widgets.

http://bui4ever.com/forum/

9. wwRoni
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll try that tonight!! Thanks for the tip.

demonicume - As of now I don't have access to the functions in noth places.

10. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

very nice work Roni, the site looks active and fun, and the theming/integration work was done superbly :)

11. wwRoni
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks so much! I actually lost my database with almost 600 users and just rebuilt.

It's a great community. Not possible without MU! I love it!

12. pstiel
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi wwRoni!

Thank you for your inspiration, you're giving me a bit of hope when I see that what I trie to achieve since several days is at least possible. We are trying to give the possibility to young abroad-volunteers to discuss and share their experiences in blogs and forums. I'd love to see it working, but every part I try is ending up in a mess:

- The user-integration doesn't work at all, I installes and activated the two plugins wordpress-integration.php in BBpress and bbpress-integration.php in WP, but none of them will allow the users signed in in the other part to log in in its system.

- When I try to use the wp-functions to adopte the design by inserting the require_once() in the config-file of the board, I get just errors while I have activated the german language (Cannot redeclare class streamreader). Once I deactivated this german installation I can't login any more in my bbpress installation - fine.

So, quite a bit frustrated I don't knwo what to do up from here.
    Have things changed during the last months in versions (I'm using the latest versions) so that the ways described here don't work anymore?

Philipp

13. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I believe that you're overdoing it. All you have to do is put the bbpress database tables within the same database as your wpmu install and edit bbpress's config.php file for the three wordpress specific selections near the end of that file. Please look for the line that start off with $bb->wp_ to see what you have to edit.

No plugins are needed.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

14. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

agreed, no plugins needed.

i got the WPMU/BBpress thing running. but what about theme integration. i've seen about a dozen ways to do it. which way is the way that'll cause the least amount of headaches?

15. andorko
    Posted 16 years ago #

User and Cookie integration work fine.

Integrating bbPress functions into WPMU also works fine.

Integrating WPMU functions into WPMU, no joy.
    Tried using peiqinglong's suggestion.
    <?php require_once('/absolute/path/to/WordPress Parent Directory/wp-blog-header.php'); ?>
    WPMU takes over and does an internal redirect to a create a new blog page.

ex.
    Going to /forums redirects to /blogs/wp-signup.php?new=%2F

Here's some more detail (rather than reposting a long post)
    http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/integration-bbpress-functions-in-wpmu#post-11123

16. mvkozyrev
    Posted 16 years ago #

Looks nice.
    How you display Recent Comments on home page?

17. andorko
    Posted 15 years ago #

For my site I use custom database queries outside of WPMU and BBpress. I didn't want to have to have the WPMU and BBpress code execute every time our homepage was rendered.

18. javafiend
    Posted 15 years ago #

Looks nice, you might want to add some spam comment filter though.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by wwRoni
  • Latest reply from javafiend