The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

HyperDB (32 posts)

1. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't think anyone has posted this yet. Matt has announced a new enterprise db class - the same one they use http://photomatt.net/2007/05/28/announcing-hyperdb/ the svn is at http://svn.wp-plugins.org/hyperdb/trunk/

Richard

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Holy Bat Sh*t!

/jaw drops

If it works as advertised...

bah... I'm speechless at the moment.

3. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

A rare occurance ;)

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm an idiot. Someone care to clue me in?

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike,

It's basically the wp.com db code.

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ah....

I looked at it for a bit. I see where it does multiple database servers with rollover but not where it does multiple databases.

Or am I missing it?

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I glanced over the code and am wondering the same thing myself. I found the code where it generates a hash from the blog ID but can't seem to figure out how it manages multiple DBs.

So far the "HyperDB" mailing list has had nothing but introductions.

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm looking at this:

Different tables on different databases/hosts

I'm wondering if we create like seperate accounts with special names like mysql1.my-mu-install.tld and mysql2.my-mu-install.tld, create databases within those and work with that.

Donncha, care to weigh in? Gotta admit that this is all Spanish to me. (I know some Greek...)

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just read through the code again and i'm still confused as to whether or not there are multiple databases involved.

I've got my own wp-db code that can run a wpmu install off of 16 or 256 databases and I don't see anything that looks like the code that would be needed to select a database.

Donncha?

10. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

I believe HyperDB is more focused on MySQL clustering and high availability. Waiting for Matt to give a detailed description now.

11. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I haven't gotten a single post on that list. Signing up again...

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

You haven't missed anything. So far there's only been 25-30 introductions.

13. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah but I haven't gotten anything, not even those.

14. michaelfoo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Dr.Mike,
    You can check out here:
    http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/hyperdb/

It's all introduction :)

15. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I have been. Not getting the introductions though.

16. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't usually bump threads but i'm really interested in getting some feedback on this from Donncha or Matt (or anyone at wp.com).

So, um, *Bump*

17. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Waving helps. :)

18. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll email Donncha in a bit pointing him to this thread. I know he's busy but there's a much better chance that he'll read the email than Matt.

19. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you'd like to get Matt's attention, offer up free sauce. lol

Seriously though, it seems that hyperDB is more of a framework then something "out of the box ready" for MU.

It's pretty nifty, so don't get me wrong, but to use for MU it would need modification.

At least that is what I got from it on quick glance last night.

20. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

I haven't even had time to look at the code yet so I won't be of much use to you just yet!

21. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Donncha, you can't give us openings like that. Too many respondences come to mind.

Well we all missed the tutorial that Matt sent over. He mentioned that he had sent a link previously:

Link to the original post about the tutorial.

22. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm, I've been receiving mail from the mailing list and I missed that message.

Is the mailing list software working correctly?

23. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I got the stuff from last night, so I guess it's working.

Just seems to be low volume at the moment.

Although, the link only refers to setting up mysql replication, not using HDB with it.

It is a handy guide for setting it up though, I refer to it fairly frequently when I dig into a new replication set-up, just for a good review since I don't do it everyday.

24. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well it was something else besides introductions...

25. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, that it was.

Wait, I know what it is...

They're picking on you, and coded the list like

if ($address = "dr mike's email") {
         continue;
    }

he he he

26. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alright, so from what I can gather this does not address multiple databases whatsoever. It just handles replication.

At one time I was told that wp.com was running on 4096 DBs with the blogs spread over the databases bases on a hash of the blog ID. Does anyone know if this has changed?

27. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can't see why it would change, really. That would be a massive data shift that would drive people nuts. The solution they've worked out seems to be working well for them from what Donncha keeps saying about it.

Overall, you're right. This isn't for breaking MU up across multiple DB's, or any of the "fancy schmancy" stuff we would think is directly related to WP.com.

Even the readme basically sums it up:

"HyperDB is an advanced database class that supports replication, failover, and federation."

28. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

It was my understanding that each datacenter had it's own set of live servers and backups when it came to the databases.

The readme also says:

Different tables on different databases/hosts

Gotta admit though that since this is leaning towards more wordpress, I doubt it would concern splitting databases. Duping yes. Spliting no.

29. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not sure, really Doc. I haven't combed it line for line, but from the area you reference in the readme it very well could support all that and does say "based" on WP.com as well.

Read/Write servers being labeled as replication though, is a little confusing. Maybe read/write "through" replication would be a better description.

What I didn't see on my "quick" glance was how it determines what to connect to. I really need to sit down with it one night, but my time is very limited at the moment.

I still think this is a cool offering though. ;)

30. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm just saying that that's what the readme says. I didn't see anything in the code either to suggest spliting databases.

That and it does look like it's for regular wordpress.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mysorehead
  • Latest reply from mysorehead