The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomains with nested folders (2 posts)

1. Gadgetizer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi folks, I've been reading through a lot of the material here on the forum and haven't found this specifically, so if someone out there can clarify this for me I'd appreciate it tremendously.

I'm hoping to build a large content portal with a single install of WPMU that has the following structure.

maindomain.com

-- channel-1.maindomain.com

---- channel-1.maindomain.com/blog-1
    ---- channel-1.maindomain.com/blog-2
    ---- channel-1.maindomain.com/blog-3

-- channel-2.maindomain.com

---- channel-2.maindomain.com/blog-1
    ---- channel-2.maindomain.com/blog-2
    ---- channel-2.maindomain.com/blog-3

-- channel-3.maindomain.com

---- channel-3.maindomain.com/blog-1
    ---- channel-3.maindomain.com/blog-2
    ---- channel-3.maindomain.com/blog-3

The main domain would feature general site info and a few featured post snippets.

Each subdomain (channel) page would be similar to the main domain but would aggregate material from the individual blogs.

Then, each individual blog (blog-1, blog-2) within each channel would be just that, an individual blog where a blogger writes posts and content.

My hosting consists of a semi-dedicated server running Apache, Plesk 8.1 and I have root access and access to the DNS zone area.

Given the info above, can my desired site structure work with a single standard install of WPMU, or will I need to do a separate install for each channel?

Paul

P.S. I can muck my way through intermediate customizations, but if the above requires advanced tweaking or knowledge I'd be more than willing to hire someone for a modest fee to get this set up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or expertise you may be able to offer.

2. Gadgetizer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Problem solved - for now.

I'll simply do categories instead of ../blog-1 etc.

So the site structure will look something like this:

channel-3.maindomain.com/go/category

...where "go" will replace the word category in the permalink and "category" will be the name of the category. It's not exactly how I wanted to do it, but it's a satisfactory workaround that doesn't require any hacking.

However, if someone comes up with a better plan please let me know. I'd love to do it the way I outlined in my original post.

Thanks,

Paul

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by Gadgetizer
  • Latest reply from Gadgetizer