The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

4th level subdomains (6 posts)

1. ulteriori
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

is there a possibility to use 4th level domains in wpmu?
    I'd like to use them for the same blog/site in another language.

I use wpmu as a multidomain/multisite engine for my company, dextera.biz. Say, I have a site

omega-mapping.dextera.biz,

which is in English. Then, I'd like to have the same site in French. As it requires another set of templates (and even may have a bit diferent content), it would be better to have it technically separated as a 4thlevel subdomain (treated by the engine the same way as a 3rd level sumdomain), like

fr.omega-mapping.dextera.biz

(another option is something like omega-mapping-fr.dextera.biz, but this doesn't look so pretty and emphasizes the separation too much).

I understand that perhaps it isn't a common need between wpmu users, but if wpmu can be used as a multidomain engine, why not to have 4th level domain on it, too? Thanks in advance for any hints.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you tried it?

I've had folks do 'user.name.wpmu.tld' in the past but no one recently.

3. ulteriori
    Posted 16 years ago #

yes I did, the blog is created but doesn't work, the error message is:

"No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance."

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please open up the table wp_blogs and see what got saved for the url.

May be able to fake it.

5. ulteriori
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've found a way to do it.

Perhaps you have blog.yourdomain.com and want to have also blog.fr.yourdomain.com. How-to:

1. Install plugin MU Multi-Site (http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager/)

2. Add another second level domain
    a. hosting control panel: Add new second level domain in hoster's control panel.
    b. registrar control panel: Point DNS servers to the hoster at domain registrar site.
    c. in unix shell: Create an alias pointing to your current wpmu installation:

cd domains
    ln -s yourdomain.com anotherdomain.com

3. Login to wp-admin of your new second level domain and add a blog with the name you want (eg. blog.anotherdomain.com)

4. In Site submenu create a new site fr.yourdomain.com

5. Assign blog.anotherdomain.com to fr.yourdomain.com.
    You'll get blog.fr.yourdomain.com.

As a byproduct, you'll also get fr.yourdomain.com :) You may want to go to its admin part and use it, or point it to your primary site with unix shell as described above.

That's all.

6. ulteriori
    Posted 16 years ago #

a correction to the last paragraph, alias won't do what we want, rather an http redirect.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by ulteriori
  • Latest reply from ulteriori