The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

installing INTO subdomain (4 posts)

1. hookjd
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think this must be simple to answer, so I'll be brief. I'm trying to install WPMU to a site where the root domain is actually a subdomain, ie:

http://subdomain.domain.tld

So that when create blogs, they will be at url's like this:

http://blog.subdomain.domain.tld

My problem is at the very beginning. I have uploaded all the files, but when I try to pull it up in a browser to install, I get this message: "No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance."

So its just leading me to believe that the .htaccess or the way that the php works is assuming that the domain is actually domain.tld and NOT subdomain.domain.tld.

So... is my assumption correct?

And if so... how can I tell Wordpress that the root of my install is subdomain.domain.tld?

Thanks.

2. tene
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm, maybe its simple, if not some suggestions you might find useful.

If you haven't already, try out a wpmu standard install on domain.tld, and make sure it works properly for you. Getting that right will rule out a lot of variables.

Does the blog.subdomain.domain.tld request resolve the way you expect through your DNS and vhost setup (ie. before it even gets to WPMU)? Some testing probably needed here. What wildcard is involved *.domain.tld or *.subdomain.domain.tld? I have found that a DNS entry is required for *.domain.tld as well as domain.tld to be able to resolve the main site correctly, perhaps you need to explicitly define subdomain.domain.tld as well as the wildcard.

3. hookjd
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks so much for replying. I realized that I was trying too hard. What I did was modify the config file before I put the files on the webserver (that's what I always do when creating wordpress blogs). But with MU, it expects the config file to not be there until it runs its own install scripts. So I pulled that off and uploaded a clean copy and it installed just fine, exactly how I wanted it to.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for following up. Glad to know you got it working.

About this Topic