The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

akismet support? (36 posts)

1. comforteagle
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Has anyone gotten MU to work with akismet yet?

2. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

The thing with akismet, if I'm not mistaken, is that it requires an API key from wordpress.com. I have never used it myself, so I don't know what it adds to the database and where (if it does at all), but if it requires each blog to have its own API key, then you'll run into problems because it would require everyone who signs up at your site to also sign up with wordpress.com.

3. comforteagle
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

ouch!

4. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

Has anyone confirmed the above concern? Is anyone running Akismet on WPMU?

From what I read on the Akismet I couldn't find any restriction to only using the API key on one blog. I also couldn't find confirmation that you can run the API key on more than one blog. I'd really love to integrate this for all my users at DakotaBlogs.

Freq---

5. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

yes i'm interesting too to akismet....Frequent do you have installed on you wpmu?

6. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

I haven't tried installing the plug-in yet. I only recently got my WPMU install working relatively well. I don't really have time for heavy troubleshooting right now, but I will eventually give it a go.

I have pinged Akismet to see if they have anyone running it with a single API key on a WPMU multi-user install.

Freq---

7. zeug
    Posted 18 years ago #

Installed and running here. Seems to be working fine, no problem with the options to enter the key. Doesn't enter it sitewide though, but it doesn't protest at two blogs on the same Mu having the same key. Not yet anyways.

As to protecting an entire site their terms and conditions are rather vague. If you're earning money they want you to pay, and there's an enterprise contract for running lots of blogs. But if you're non profit ... well there doesn't seem to be anything in the copyright to prevent you from giving your single API key out to every member of your Mu and seeing what happens.

I would guess they'd rather everyone piles onto wp.com though in which case it will become rather gigantic very quickly. I guess I'll leave it up to members to use the service themselves or not.

8. Frequent
    Posted 18 years ago #

zeug,

Thanks for the info! When you say it doesn't enter it site-wide I assume you mean that it doesn't plug your API key into every blog.

Does the Akismet "tab" automatically show on every blog dashboard so all the users have to do is get a key and enter it to get it running?

Thanks again,

Freq---

9. zeug
    Posted 18 years ago #

You have to enter the key per blog not sitewide.

As to automatically showing ... well you can put the plugin into mu-plugins or plugins. If mu-plugins then it seems to be enabled by default but without a key and with an annoying fade warning on each admin page telling you the plugin is inactive and needs a key with a link to 'Akismet Configuration' to enter it.

Put it in plugins it just turns up deactivated in the plugins tab, if you've enabled that in Site Admin. Once activated as a blog plugin the Akismet Config tab is in plugins and you enter the key there.

I guess if you waste a lot of bandwidth and time dealing with spam you could put it in mu-plugins which will more or less force your users to get a key just to kill the Akismet warning ...

10. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

This may be against the spirit of things but can't you just set up a random wordpress.com blog and stick that key into the plugin so that it rolls for all?

11. zeug
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yeh, it looks like you could stick the key into the php at the top of the plugin code ... although I'm not sure what the akismet server would do with 2000+ edublogs hitting the same API key :)

You could always ask the developers how they intend to service non profit WPMu servers. My guess is they'd prefer users to register but who knows unless we ask?

12. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'll email Matt and point him to this thread.

13. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Farms, that would be a great way to be banned. :)

The Akismet plugin works out of the box with MU, you can let users enter their API key and you have no problems.

If you hard-code an API key for all your blogs the system will flag you and unless you already had permission from me you'll be permanently blocked.

14. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Heh... Thought so ;)

You know where we're coming from though...

"Hey, come and use our great blog service... only, you have to go and get a blog with that other great blog service wordpress.com first... but do come back!"

Given the minor explosion of not-for-profit WPMU sites that'd that'd seem to be a shame for Akismet development... still, I appreciate where you;re coming from on this too.

15. zeug
    Posted 18 years ago #

Have you taken up Matts offer and asked for permission Farms? Would be a neat solution for edu/uni/learnerblogs. How much spam are you dealing with and how much bandwidth is it costing you? I'd be interested to know about your experience hosting close to 2500 bloggers if you care to share.

16. gappiah
    Posted 18 years ago #

Matt,

By this ... I guess you don't care thousands of folks creating a wordpress.com account just to get the API key.

Or will the API key sort of "expire" if your wordpress.com blog is not active?

17. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

No I don't care. The accounts will have other uses too besides blogging and the incremental cost is almost zero for us.

18. zeug
    Posted 18 years ago #

Sounds like you're going to give your distributed databases a run for their money. An enterprise version of Mu would be cool, like Toy Story "to infinity and beyond". When's the alpha release for the open version?

19. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Funnily enough spam isn't the hugest problem at the moment... there are some great spamblocking tools already in place.

But i definitely *am* worried about it down the line and pretty excited about the potential of Akismet to eliminate that and also deal with splogs (which I'm sure it will be doing in wp.com?)

Bandwidth-wise it's not so bad at the moment... something like 15 gig p/month. But that's with only a % of bloggers actually using their blogs and having only sorted images out a few weeks back.

So I'm on some crappy reseller account, what I really want is a dedicated server though not so much for the bandwidth but for the performance. Might have to wait until someone starts paying me for that though :D

As for permission... I've kinda taken from the website that that would be 'bending' the rules?

http://akismet.com/commercial/

"Hosting Companies, Blog Providers, etc.

Today your customers judge and compare you based on your email spam protection, tomorrow it will be your web spam protection. We can provide site-wide keys you can protect all of your customers with for less than you'd pay for a RBL subscription. If you'd like to license Akismet for a large number of customers or refer people to the service, we'd be happy to discount volume licensing and referral arrangements, drop us a line."

What I'd really like is a non-profit statement... if anyone ever starts to pay for the me to run edu etc. or if I start advertising (one of them is going to have to happen eventually) then I'd happily include a fee for something like this.. but at the moment it wouldn't be possible.

Cheers, James

20. jmarx75
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but i have about 60 blogs in Wordpress MU.
    Does the commercial enterprise key treat each mu blog as separate?
    http://akismet.com/buy/enterprise/

Or is it treated as one because its just one install?

21. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Why not ask them?

22. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

Akismet enterprise licences are really expensive.

We offer SK2 as the default, but if the user wants Akismet, they can enable it as an option and it will automatically disable SK2.

23. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Provided each user goes over to wordpress.com and gets their own key.

A single key for all users would require an enterprise subscription, or for you to be a certified non-profit organization.

http://akismet.com/ for more info.

24. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I use it site wide. There's an option to hardcode the key in the Akismet plugin but, as Matt notes up above, it's a quick way to get your key banned if you don't have the license or permission to do so ahead of time.

Yup, only the best for my clients. :)

25. XIII
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm wondering if it somehow works differently, I use it on my personal blog and with the same hardcoded key on my MU installation and I see a lot more spam getting through on the MU install (1.2.1) as opposed to my personal blog where Akismet works perfect as always.

26. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is Akismet the company aware that you;re running this key within your mu install? It has to be set on their end for it to work correctly. (or at least that's what I've been told by Matt.)

27. XIII
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gotcha, I've sent off a request for info. Thanks!

28. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just to clarify this, we're using Typepad AntiSpam on some of our hosted mu installs and they allow it for sitewide usage:

http://antispam.typepad.com

29. diesel12
    Posted 15 years ago #

@tdjcbe: Can you point me towards any guides to enabling typepad antispam sitewide? Somebody mentioned hardcoding it in... not sure how to do that... thanks for any feedback!

30. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

- Get key.

- Open plugin file for editing.

- Look down about 15-20 lines from top.

- Copy and paste key.

- Save.

If you drop it into the mu-plugins subdirectory, you need to change about 4 lines from 'plugins' to 'mu-plugins' to get the background of the widget to show up. Just a headsup on that.

Hope this helps

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by comforteagle
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe