The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moved Hosts, still no go, ie, 404 and no wpmu error (17 posts)

1. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

So, noone ever came up actually for a fix for getting in error in IE when a new user clicks the CREATE BLOG link. Given everyones hatred of Godaddy (which I have been using for years with only one or two issues) I dialed up an account at Asmallorange. No go - they can't even help me get the install going. Atleast at Godaddy I actually did have it running in firefox and safari, if not IE. Does anyone have anyexperience with A Small Orange and getting wpmu up and running. They've done a lot to work with me, but are clearly in the dark about WPMU....I may be spoiled on getting it running easily in GoDaddy - and on shared hosting (bad idea, but I'm not paying for dedicated until I can be sure I can get it to work, really work). Any Suggestions?
    With aso, I just keep running into 'no wpmu installed on this site'. I've redone it about 12 times using every suggestion I could find on the forums. Is there a place that you hosted where it just INSTALLED without huge amounts of headaches? Please email me offline if you have one, I'm really tired of spending this much time on just the install....I'd rather spend it on development. A hosting provider that is familiar with WPMU's ins and outs would be much appreciated. Judy

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wow, they couldn't help? that's really odd. I thought they were really knowledgeable about WP at least.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm curious as to whether it's just your browser or something you have running locally that is affecting it.

4. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Running locally? Affects what? The install, or the IE 404 errors?

And On which of five separate machines, and three different os's? There isn't anything running locally on each and every one of these machines.

Yes, andrea, one of the reasons I went to ASO was because of comments on these forums. So Im surprised, also. ASO can't even give me a hint as to what might be going on, so I'm back to godaddy, where I can get it running in 10 mins, but it doesn't work in IE. As far as I know, there are plenty of people who are having the IE issue (click the 404 thread link, and you'll see...the converstaion came to a halt several months ago), so it can't be just what I'm doing - and people have checked this out at my install, and they were stumped, too.

What on earth could be making JUST ie not work with the wp-signup.php page? Why would it only not work in IE? What is it calling that wouldn't work in ie? And can't anyone think of a simple way around it? I haven't had anyone say to me - hey, it works fine for me in IE - otherwise I would hunt them down and beg them to tell me their modifications/code.

As I've said in previous hosts, I usually try something on a cheaper hosting product, work out bugs..and then go dedicated. I've done so many installs, wp, oscommerce, other blog software, that this is really really bugging me. Im not one who usually runs for the hills when I run into a brick wall on install, but I'm about to give up on this one.

J

5. mornebecl
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey judyschmitz
    I'm getting really confoosed on your behalf too, I almost exclusively use IE and have not yet experienced the problems you speak about. I've tried many installs since last week, to see if I could duplicate your problem.
    The pc's you are trying it on, are they all connected to the same ISP?
    Have you checked your connection settings in IE? Maybe IE connection is going through some sico proxy.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

All I can think of now is that it's something in the latest codebase (1.2.2).

On all the differnet machine you were using, are they all in the same building? same verison of IE?

My head is hurting in sympathy.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's what I was trying to get at, Andrea, but being snapped at for the thought, FTFF.

It's been attempted by the OP on several hosts where it has been known to work, and where folks are using it without any problems as we speak.

The only common denominator across all of that is the OP. Either by install, set-up, or hardware/software on their end.

Then again, heh, what do I know, right? I'm just a magic 8-Ball.

8. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm. Ok, well, time to do more control stuff...I have experienced the same error onmultiple machines in different areas (from home, from work, from other peoples houses) but mostly from within the same geographic area. I'm going to walk to some other buildings...dag nab it, if you guys can run it on ie, then I should be able to, too! I've only tried it on GD, having never been able to fully install on ASO, unfortunately. I'm about to kick out some $$$ for VPS on serverbeach just to work my way thru it, I hate when this stuff happens. Mornebeel, could you let me know what host you are using (privately is fine) and I'll try them, and see if its just me and MU, a personal vibe thing?

Sorry Lunabyte if I've offended you - I guess I just didnt' understand the questions being based on stuff I had installed, locally, rather than the host side - andsince I never really installed anything specifically different to MU, I don't get the logic, but thanks for trying.

J

9. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

The only other thing I would note is that, hey, I'm not the only one it's happenning too, so I wouldn't tend to blame it on my local machine, or isp. You have only to read the other thread.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3578&replies=29

You'll see what I'm talking about - no resolution there, it would seem, either.

10. mornebecl
    Posted 16 years ago #

judyschmitz

Ok have you tried to register comment etc on my site yet?
    Coz I do everything on my site with IE6 and IE7...
    also wot is your sites addy then I go look see what you doing :) Maybe get a feel for your prob.
    If all else fails I'll let you try my servers on a trial for free (1 Month Only) :)
    I would love to see you up and running and start asking other Questions :)

11. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

12. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am so bummed: I was about to post this:

TA DA:

I'll post this to some others - ripped everything apart, climbed back on the horse, went back to godaddy,to dupe environment, got a shared hosting setup, installed using a 5.0 database, and the install worked AN WP-SIGNUP IS NO LONGER GENERATING ERRORS - and I"ve made NO MODIFICATIONS to ANYTHING. It was as easy as the regular wordpress install. I am falling off my chair.

Then I went back, and tried again. And it no longer works. How could that be?

Gonna try the mod suggested for 5.0 databases, and see if that works for me. So sad.
    Judy

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think it's trying to drive you crazy on purpose. :)

(although I'm not sure how well it would work on a godaddy setup... on shared, you'll eventually have to move if they don't boot you outright.)

14. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Andrea - iti s. Its totally driving me nuts. The install ils quite clear and easy - and then I get the lovely blog home apage.. I can get into admin, create and administer blogs, but, and THIS IS ONLY IN IE, I cannot create a blog. To add to this, sometimes, if I go back in the browser, I get to the wpsignup page. Not kidding. I havent' been able to duplicate this consistently, but it has happenned more than once, and it has been mentioned by others.

FYI i am using futurehost and seeing how easy that install was, and yes, with godaddy, I just wanted to test and see that I could get it working before I did virutal private.

I'm more than happy to give GD up, though, I can't stand them for the most part, and if the blogservice that I am setting up takes off, which I think it will, there is no way they are gonna be able to deal.

J

15. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

What version of IE? Is it the same in all instances? TBH, there's plenty of mondo users here with HUGE WPMU sites, and if it was a consistant issue with IE across the board, we'd all be screaming about it now.

I would be more than happy to look at a link, too.

16. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea! Yes, of course, I new it had to be something or the cries would be louder, but the cries are there, so it must be more than just me or GODADDY...but.....I believe it was a permissions thing that cannot be modified on GODADDY.

***********SUCCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

Can I ;buy you a VIRTUAL BEER - it was totally something to do with godaddy, because I was up and running on FH in about 10 minutes (after of course spending several hours configuring the GD>X><JVS:L servers, but that's another story!) **how do you spell awesome: a server provider that emails support to you from their blackberry@@@@!!!!!""" LOVE IT. Of course, they need some new documentation on server configuration, but thats another story, too....

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

NOW OFF TO PLAY WITH THE THEMES AND COOL STUFF!!!

Judy

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

virtual pepsi I'll take any day. ;)

Agreed on the docs too.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by judyschmitz
  • Latest reply from andrea_r