The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

problems around file upload and deletion (4 posts)

1. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

I currently have 2 problems and wanted to see if anyone else had them too.

Problem 1 : some files which are not allowed to transfer to blogs can still be transferred.
    In my site admin options, allowed files are:
    jpg jpeg png gif mp3 mov avi wmv midi mid pdf xls doc ppt pps flv bmp

However, it is possible for my users to upload .css, .txt, or .wav files. How come ?

Problem 2 : some users complained that their disk space is not being freed when they delete images. I've checked a few of the complainers, and the problem is indeed there : i have seen the situation of a user with no articles, no files showing in his upload space, but still 50 megs of disk space used. Looking directly on the disk, i can see tons of images there, which the user cannot guess are there from just logging in his admin. I have tried to reproduce the problem without success. Any file I'd upload and delete would actually be deleted, even when impersonating the user's ID. Has anyone witnessed this, or does anyone have any idea how to solve the problem ? thanks.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not a clue on #1 unless it's hardcoded in there somewhere and the list is not being checked.

2) This is going to sound silly but check the file permissions on wp-content. I had the issue on my own installs which is a cpanel box and we couldn't do anything with the uploaded images but it was kicking out writable errors for that subdirectory. It was saying that because it was writable, it wouldn't do anything with the subdirectory nor the content within them.

Still don't understand why it was an issue but changing it back to 755 fixed everything.

3. rebellin
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK, so I can't figure out how to start a new thread. I just switched blog platforms from Movable Type to Wordpress. All was good until I redirected my URL today (http://www.rebellin.net), and then ALL of my images broke. I have no idea how to fix.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK, so I can't figure out how to start a new thread.

For reference, click on the subject of your question from teh front page list. it'll be at the bottom of the page. It takes some time to get used to the forum software.

Could have sworn we had a "Start a new Topic" link....

Anyway, you're hosted on wordpress.com. You need to be over at their forums for support. Please point specificly at an example of where the image(s) is msiing from so they don't have to search for it. These forums are more for the support of the admins who run and use the wpmu software.

To answer your question though, you ned to fix the links for your images. For example in this post, this is the link you have for teh image:

http://www.rebellin.net/archives/j_m_hiking_tallac.jpg

That probably worked fro your old site but it doesn't match up with your new one. You're going to have to go back through and upload them to your wp.com space and relink them.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

About this Topic