The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

upload problems (11 posts)

1. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi. I moved from shared to VPS and after the transfer of accounts I have been having problems with uploading pictures. Error message:

Unable to create directory /home/kishore1/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files//2007/06. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I have tried the solution given here -- http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3173&replies=3#post-19388 -- which does not work. My hosting support confirmed that the settings are as per the recommendations in the forum. The support asked for wordpress documentation on folder/file permissions settings for Wordpress MU.

At my wits ends. Any help with a solution to the problem or documentation will be appreciated.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

What are the file permission settings for wp-content, blogs.dir, 2, files, 2007 and 06 please?

The webserver is telling you one of those are not writable.

3. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

blogs.dir and all subdirectories are is set to webserver (nobody:nobody)
    All directories are set to drwxr-xr-x

Dir 06 is not yet created. I am uploading a picture the first time this month.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes we have to drag information like that out of folks.

Two things to try. Set blogs.dir to 0777 or drwxrwxrwx. Also check with your host to see if they have safe_mode turned on for your account. The file permissions just to see if it's not being recognized for some reason. Safe_mode because directory may be being blocked as a security risk.

Although /files/ on down got generated. Hmmm..

Also check your webserver's error logs to see if there's anything in there.

Hope thi shelps,
    -drmike

5. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

safe mode is off
    i have checked the error logs. nothing fishy in there.
    will try to 777 blogs.dir and revert

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Rather strange.

7. kishorebudha
    Posted 16 years ago #

Dr Mike. Thanks for your help. After much hair splitting the problem was zeroed in to the Web Host Manager. An upgrade of the WHM (v 11) sorted out the problem. So those using VPS, the solution to the uploading problem is:

Open SSH, login as root, and go to account directory

a) chown -R nobody:nobody blogs.dir
    b) find blogs.dir -type f -print -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    c) find blogs.dir -type d -print -exec chmod 755 {} \;

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

What's the difference between nobody owning the folders and the account name owning the folders?

9. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bit late on this one but this seems to fix upload error sfor me (although, amusingly, I have no idea how :)

# cd /wordpres_directory/wp-content
    # chmod nobody:nobody -R blogs.dir
    # find blogs.dir -type f -print -exec chmod 644 {} ;
    # find blogs.dir -type d -print -exec chmod 755 {} ;

Form here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3173&replies=3

10. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

with the account name, you have to set the permissions to be writable by the webserver, therefor everybody. (ie 777)

If you set it to the webserver, that's all you need to have it set to. (ie 700)

I believe actually I have it set to on ours username:webserver so that we both can access it but no one else can.

11. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

hmm...for me this didn't work, but using the same commands and replacing "nobody" with "apache" did the trick.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by kishorebudha
  • Latest reply from suleiman