The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Switching Sub-domains (10 posts)

1. lodbot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alright, so I've gotten everything installed and setup using one domain, call it sub.domain.com. How can I easily config my WPMU install so that a separate domain (sub2.domain.com) will work? I tried to simply access WPMU via that second domain and got the "No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance." error.

Again, all I want is to switch sub-domains without having to reinstall WPMU. It's not enough to use the rewrite engine.

Thanks.

2. lodbot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Problem solved.

In WPMU control panel:
    -Go to Site Admin -> Blogs and edit the particular blog whose domain needs to change.
    -Replace all sub.domain.com instances with sub2.domain.com

NOTE: doing this will BREAK your WPMU blog, but hang tight. It'll be fixed shortly.

Login to MySQL with your favorite MySQL manager. Determine which set of tables belongs to the blog that you're trying to change. For me, it was the "wp_" set, because I was trying to change the top blog. Once you know which table set to change, be prepared to edit wp_site (or whatever prefix you decided on). Replace all rows in that table whose 'domain' field is sub.domain.com and replace with sub2.domain.com. Once this MySQL change is done, you should be setup and ready to go.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

3. lodbot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Another post (sorry):

I tried to file this as a bug, but I couldn't find the bug submission process on the trac page.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

And how exactly is this a bug if you decide you want to change where you installed it?

5. lodbot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Here is the scenario:

I have a production domain, production.domain.com, and a staging domain, staging.domain.com. My current blog is running on production.domain.com, and I don't want to have to take that blog down. My new blog is running on staging.domain.com, which allows me to play with things without affecting the production blog (weird style, downtime, etc). When the staging machine is all setup, I'm going to point production.domain.com to the staging machine, which means I'll have to fiddle with some configs in WPMU. Fiddling with these configs breaks WPMU unless you make the manual changes that I suggested in my previous post.

Perhaps this isn't a bug, but I thought it would be best for the WP developers to at least know what was going on. Just trying to help :).

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Um, so how does you wanting to change the domain you installed MU with constitute as a bug?

I grasp what you're trying to do, but a user "changing their mind" doesn't mean it's a bug.

Maybe a feature request, I could see that. But definitely not a bug.

7. lodbot
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't "change my mind." I knew from the beginning that I would have a staging machine and a production machine, and I knew that WPMU would allow me to change hostname settings. When I tried to change these hostname settings, WPMU didn't allow me to view my blog or my admin panel, which made reverting back to the original settings via the admin panel impossible. The only way I was able to get back into the admin panel was to make the change I suggested earlier. Seems to me that it's a bug if I have to manually go into MySQL and change two tuples. Seems to me that WPMU should have done that for me.

It just seems like I shouldn't be able to change a config option if the action of doing so will permit me from using the admin panel.

Again, I'm just trying to help here.

8. digitalrealist
    Posted 16 years ago #

Luna, while you are technically correct that its not a bug, its a little harsh to keep referring too lodbot as changing his mind. Staging is apart of development for any good developer. Its hard to believe that in this day and age any software is written with no regard to deployment.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can stage, without the need to switch domains. If you tell me you can't, I'll call your bluff.

That being said, coming back 2 months later just for that is a little silly, and then to potshot the developer(s) on top of it.

So, what's your point? A feature is missing? Doesn't work the way you think it should? Would another approach make sense?

I'll kindly point you to http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ where you can file a ticket on Trac for a feature request.

10. digitalrealist
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well I wasn't as you say coming back 2 months later. I happened upon this thread because I encountered the same problem. Truth be told I just thought you were uncommonly rude to someone that provided such a helpful solution.
    I am indeed not afraid to be wrong.. (its happened), How do you move a client to wordpressmu if their site is already up and functioning? i.e. it will live on the domain that is live when you are done. On the subject of potshots, you are right. Its free software and I've no right to gripe. My apologies

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by lodbot
  • Latest reply from digitalrealist