The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Right Direction for me? (13 posts)

1. cclintonm1mcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU could solve a big dilemma for us by allowing us to provide blogs to all of our agents. Before jumping in, some questions:
    1) do all of these blogs operate from the same sql database or do they each need their own?
    2a) can we set up a primary template that is used by all of our agents or does each one have to load the template themselves?
    2b) can we set up the template in the primary blog and have it appear each time a new blog is set up?
    3) can we set up custom fields and have them appear with each new blog created or does each blog have to set them up individually?
    That's all I have for now. I hope for great answers...

2. pug
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) yes they do, each blog will have his own blogid_tables.

2a) You can assign a default theme for all users, and simply by uploading more you'll give them the chance to change their own theme without affecting other users theme choice.

2b) do you mean assigning to users the same theme used in the primary blog? In that case obviously yes.

3) You can edit wp-signup.php to get custom fields for each of your bloggers, actually i never did it so here's a topic that should help you more than me:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3832&replies=15

hope it could hel you =)

3. cclintonm1mcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, to clarify:
    1) we would need to make sure that our host allows us to set up multiple sql databases for this to work.
    2) we can modify the main template meaning that every new blog starts with this template. They can then modify or use their own as their hearts desire...
    3) I am not looking to set up custom start up fields. Rather, custom fields to be used on the write post page. We are working with real estate agents and have determined a way to add real estate specific fields for our posts. We'd like to make these fields available to our agents without them having to set those up on their own. Some of our agents are not computer savvy and we are already planning for some hair loss while trying to teach them how to use Wordpress. Showing them how to modify the code or add custom fields may be too much.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) No, you can do everything with a single database. That database will have multiple tables though. (That's standard. Databases have multiple tables.)

if you were talking about thousands of blogs, then you may consider having multiple databases but that's not a default install.

A single database is fine.

2) No, the templates are static with the exception of building the sidebar out of widgets. There is a plugin that will allow your endusers to have a copy of the theme installed within their upload space. (i can't pull up multiple windows. Someone care to link to it please?)

3) If your end users don't understand custom fields, I wouldn't even be worrying about them.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

re: #3 - do you mean custom fields like what category to put posts in? Easy peasy.

If they can use web-based email, they'll be able to post an entry.

6. cclintonm1mcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike,
    Thanks.

Andrea_r,
    No, I was referring to custom fields to be used within the post itself. For instance, if an agent lists a new property, there would be a field for number of rooms, another for number of bathrooms, property type, city, square footage, etc.

7. cclintonm1mcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike,
    were you able to find the plugin?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"For instance, if an agent lists a new property, there would be a field for number of rooms, another for number of bathrooms, property type, city, square footage, etc."

Couldn't you add new categories (think of them as tags) with these values predetermined and the agent can add them to each listing (entry)? I'm trying to think of the easiest way to go about it. I *do* think MU could handle what you want.

I just bought a house a month ago and am gearing up to sell the old one. :)

and re: #2 - many users are happy just to pick from an assortment of themes, and there's loads of themes out there now with an options page to lightly change each theme to personalize it.
    I think the plugin drmike was thinking of is over at wpmu.org.

9. cclintonm1mcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think the category options would be too plentiful. Take a look at http://www.buyusa1.com/listman/listings/l0043.php for an example of the various fields we want to add into the post. Adding each post to the multiple categories would be crazy, especially when the people searching for that information would rather it be listed in one post rather than having to go looking for each listing option they want.

I am trying to access wpmu.org and having no luck.

Good luck with the house sale. I'd offer to help but our countries tend to have rules about that...

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Whups, it was wpmudev.org.

11. jskov
    Posted 15 years ago #

@cclintonm1mcom or anyone else. I am looking for the same thing with these custom fields...

Any luck with a solution? I hope so with this post being a year old.

I checked wpmudev.org... no dice

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why not tag each entry with the appropriate items?

13. halles
    Posted 15 years ago #

cclintonm1mcom & jskov

#3 you would probably have to develop a plugin that lets them manage what you need via custom fields and have this plugin activated for everyblog. The reason for this is that even if a custom field is created, it's created just for that specific post/page, and yes it stays on a list for selection, but if your users can't write their own custom fields, they will probably mess up every once in a while using custom fields...

If you use a plugin like more fields or such, that won't work either since options for a plugin are not site wide but for each blog. You could always try to mimic what the plugin does to the database when it sets up a box or other options via mysql querys but, it would be simpler just to create a plugin that will show you a small interface for setting custom fields.

If it's not clear enough just dorp me a line here. cheers!

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by cclintonm1mcom
  • Latest reply from halles