The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can I use wp theme in wp-mu ? (6 posts)

1. SaudiWanderer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello guys,

Can I use WordPress themes in mu-WordPress ?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, but test them first.

3. byjournal
    Posted 16 years ago #

yes, you can )) i have downloaded 300 wp-themes and uploaded without testings :D i deleted nearly 10 and other is working... so, test themes )

4. jamesuvmedia
    Posted 16 years ago #

What are the typical obstructions and necessary changes for adapting themes for use in wordpress_mu

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nothing is typical, really. Each theme varies.

A well written theme will actually work out of the box, although you will probably want to customize it some to your liking.

That being said, the ratio of well written themes to themes that were just thrown together is pretty big.

Some basics to ensure are:

1) Validation, validation, and did I mention validation?
    Poorly written themes which don't validate can wreak havoc on your site, and your bandwidth. They could even render your site inaccessible.

2) Widget support.
    It's part of the WP (and therefore MU) core now, and there isn't an excuse for a theme to not support widgets.

3) The footers.
    With MU you will find that hooks are a wonderful thing. That being the case, at some point you'll want to hook into wp_footer for one reason or another. Make sure it outputs as expected, else you'll be hacking up a theme to make sure it does.

4) Making sure it supports hooks.
    wp_footer, wp_head, etc. You may even want to add your own hooks to certain areas as well.

I could go on and on, but those are the initial basics.

6. emk4
    Posted 15 years ago #

fine answer dude...
    good :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by SaudiWanderer
  • Latest reply from emk4