The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

8 tables per blog = problem? (12 posts)

1. mark350
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm having a community site developed... we're installing WPMU for our users.

My developers got a hold of me yesterday and said they are not sure they can use WP now because it creates 8 tables per blog - and that adds up fast on a community site (1000's of users).

Here are my questions:

1. Are these mult. tables going to cause a problem?

2. What are some good solutions?

Are there any plugins available to help WPMU work more efficiently. Any help and/or advice will be appreciated, thanks.

*** I'm using a dedicated Linux server (from godaddy) dual process and a lot of memory.

2. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wonder if those developers know of other blog software that is even close to as good as WP and uses fewer than 8 tables per blog?

I would just direct them to wordpress.com....they host a gazillion blogs and seem to be doing fine. In the past, I've managed over 500 individual WordPress installs (I think they had 13 tables each) on my server, along with a lot of other software with no problems. I'm moving all of my blogs to mu.

If you have a good server and a good developers then I don't think you will find a better solution. There are some discussions in the forums here about splitting an mu site among more than one database...you may want to have the developers search the site for those discussions.

Steve

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

What's their specific concern? (I mean besides from using a dedicated server from a company who thinks spamming is ok as long as they do it and no one else does.)

The number of files created by the database is a concern as most OSes max out at a set number of files per directory. (Usually 32k) You can code wpmu to use multiple databases and break them up.

wp.com uses code like this to break things down into 256 databases and one of the folks here have their own version of the code that does something simular although he hasn't desided on if they plan on releasing it or not and under what conditions. You may want to search the forums here for "multiple databases" as it's been discussed before. I'll let the person who wrote that code step up if they so choose.

I'd also sit on your "developers" as well. If you're paying them money and they're giving you vague answers like that, I'd be troubled. Developers, especially of open source projects, shouldn't be just stating flat out "no" when looking at an issue. They should be working on solutions to the issue as hand.

Either that or they should be over here looking for solutions instead of sending you to do it. That's why you pay them, right? ;)

4. mark350
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great points, thanks.... I'll direct my developers to this thread.

And I will research the option you mentioned for breaking up the database. Thanks again for your time.

5. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

just a note, the 32K limit is for subdirectories. It is a problem for the upload folders, but not for the database. It's good to split the DB anyway though.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, WordPress.com uses 4096 different databases spread across something like a dozen or so (give or take) DB servers. :D

A single box like that, if it really is dual processor with plenty of RAM (4G+) should be fine for anywhere from 5k-10k blogs without issue. Depending on traffic, space available, etc.

From there, the DB goes on one box, and the web stuff stays where it is. From there... have fun.

7. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

256. 4096. Bah, who's counting.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Donncha is. He likes to mention is a lot. lol

9. mark350
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have one more question that just came to mind... some of my blogs will be installed on sub-domains and others will be installed in sub-directories (that's up to our users).

The WP blogs that are installed on th subdomains will have different (more) features available than the blogs installed in sub-directories.

I don't understand much of the technical aspects associated with this arrangement... I assume it would require two separate databases to handle the different WP setups.

I know I'm not clarifying my question so good, but I just wanted to know if anyone can foresee any problems associated with this setup? Of course, I'll let my developers figure this out, but I thought it wise to bring it up in here so I could get some initial feedback. Thanks for the help!

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, there would be issues.

Can't be on the same domain, would have to maintain different sets of code, and while MU does work in subdirectory mode, it has issues with a lot of stuff.

If it were me, I'd just do it all with subdomains and add a flag in the database to distinguish a more important blog.

11. mark350
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for advice... ill pass it off to my developers.

Does anyone know if I could use wordpress MU for the blogs associated with the subdomains (our 'platinum blogs') and at the same time, use a different blogging script for the blogs associated with the sub-folders?

If so, can someone make a suggestion? I don't mean to be wearing this thread out... just trying to get some options in regards to the best approach. Thanks again for the help.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you want two options, do two installs.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mark350
  • Latest reply from andrea_r