The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Laundry List of Questions (8 posts)

1. davedorm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi guys. I am a WordPress veteran. But very new to MU. I am doing a lot by trial and error. But I have a small list of things I want to accomplish.

1) Restrict certain plugins to the main blog only.
    2) Restrict a theme to the main blog only. This I have partially figured out, but the theme-switcher plugin still sees any theme in the /themes directory.
    3) A galley plugin that will work on MU

This is it so far. More later, I am sure.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) Restrict certain plugins to the main blog only.

Well, if they're in the mu-plugins folder and have no admin page, users can;t do much with them.

2) Restrict a theme to the main blog only. This I have partially figured out, but the theme-switcher plugin still sees any theme in the /themes directory.

Don't need a theme switcher. Disable the theme site-wide, then enable it just for the main blog, in the blog edit section.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I politly suggest a search as topic of galleries has come up before with differnt folks weighing in.

I thought the theme switcher didn't work on mu?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"1) Restrict certain plugins to the main blog only."

I posted a hack for that. A search will turn it up.

5. davedorm
    Posted 16 years ago #

lunabyte wrote:

> I posted a hack for that. A search will turn it up.

I did a search. I did not find it. An answer of "go fish" is really not that helpful. If you could elaborate a bit, that would be great.

drmaike wrote:

> I thought the theme switcher didn't work on mu?

I used the widget version. It works, and I already found the tweak to exclude themes from the switcher by putting "Status: Draft" in the CSS comments. Slick. But I want to exclude the plugin for everyone else except the "sample" blog I have set up. I want people to be able to browse the available themes easily, not just the thumbnails in the Presentation dashboard.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Geez...

You mean you can't type:

main site only plugin hack

into the search bar, on the search page, that is referenced in the sticky post on the front page (entitled, appropriately, Search the forum)?

Gee, second on the list. Imagine that.

Wow. So yeah... Go Fish, and have a nice day.

7. davedorm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, I did search, but I used different variables. Thanks for the boost, sorry if I came across like a d***k. The hack worked very well, thanks. I am well on my way to getting this to work the way I want it to.

The site is http://sfilabs.org if anyone wants to peek. It's for a Star Trek fan association, a place where chapters can get a free website. A little silly. But WPMU has worked to about 90% perfection so far. Still niggling out some details.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, that isn't silly at all.

All my server names start with NCC... lol

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by davedorm
  • Latest reply from lunabyte