The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Unactivated users and deleted accounts? (20 posts)

1. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

A few questions if I may:

1). when someone signs up and if they do not activate, how long until their accounts/blog details are purged, so another users can use that blog or username?

2). When deleting blogs and users, new users cannot sign up for the blog name or username, it shows the error:

That username is currently reserved but may be available in a couple of days.

and something similar for E-mail address too, as they may wish to sign back up.

I notice that even after deleting a blog and username, their details are still shown in the wp_signups table, is there any reason for this? Will they be purged? and if so how long?

3). Is there or will there be anyway for an admin to truely delete an account so another user may use the username or blog name.

4). Will there be a way for admin to approve accounts, this would be handy for users whom for some reason do not receive an activation E-mail.

5). Something totally different, appart from checking the site often is there any other way to be notified of new updates to the MU script, perhaps a mailing list?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :-)

Kind Regards

2. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry hate to bump, but I don't suppose some one can offer a little advice :-)

3. nims
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi gmax21

Even I am trying to figure out these things but it seems there are not many experts available here. Since its OS (and free) we can just wait for some answers or try to help ourselves by trying to learn the code.

You may wish to try searching through the similar problems and picking up some hint before trying to dive into coding yourself.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"but it seems there are not many experts available here"

Sorry, I'll have to disagree on that one.

A lot just tend to over look/skip basic questions which have either been asked a lot, or should be well within the capabilities of someone using MU.

5. nims
    Posted 16 years ago #

In that case would it not be good for you to atleast point this gentleman in the correct direction so that he can atleast find some solution :-)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

*sigh*

At least two of his questions would be answered had he actually used the software. you know, tried it..

1). when someone signs up and if they do not activate, how long until their accounts/blog details are purged, so another users can use that blog or username?

Two days. It says so right on the signup page.

2). When deleting blogs and users, new users cannot sign up for the blog name or username, it shows the error:

That username is currently reserved but may be available in a couple of days.

and something similar for E-mail address too, as they may wish to sign back up.

I notice that even after deleting a blog and username, their details are still shown in the wp_signups table, is there any reason for this? Will they be purged? and if so how long?

- TWO DAYS.

3). Is there or will there be anyway for an admin to truely delete an account so another user may use the username or blog name.

YES. Delete it. Don;t just mark it as deleted, just delete it.

4). Will there be a way for admin to approve accounts, this would be handy for users whom for some reason do not receive an activation E-mail.

NO.

5). Something totally different, appart from checking the site often is there any other way to be notified of new updates to the MU script, perhaps a mailing list?

NO.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"In that case would it not be good for you to atleast point this gentleman in the correct direction so that he can atleast find some solution :-)"

I dunno about anyone else, but it gets really, really, really old typing the link to the search form, or one of the other 2 or 3 canned responses that can answer 95% of most new threads on here.

Sorry, but it's true.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I had answered this is fair amount of detail when it was first posted but I see it got eaten.

Hmm, I wonder why.... (As if I didn't know. Thanks Matt)

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Why? Heh, "Who" knows. Yet the madness continues.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

And it gets really old answering questions that could've been solved had the person actually poked around the backend and read what was on the screen.

I can only take so much myself. I can't do people's thinking AND reading AND comprehension for them on top of that.

11. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

"but it seems there are not many experts available here"

Personally I think there are a lot of experts "available here". However, I think I speak for most of these experts when I say that we know where the door is...

Not trying to be sarcastic or rude but it's a fact.

12. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I answered it shortly after it was first posted.

Feel free to express your annoyance towards staff on the issue as it's their childness that caused the delay.

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

+10 for Andrew. I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd have caused some global war or something. lol

14. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi andrea_r,

Well the search is rather poor, and tends to be hard to find those simply answers, the results of a search often finds information from the trac site only because it contains key words on that page, but still those pages tend to irrelevant to simple questions like the ones posed above. Perhaps if there were two search forms this would simplify the problem.

I did a search the other day for a minor issue, something in the code was not working as it should because of '!' to say not, I missed it in the code, so searched on here, then google separate and yes the authors site too, but still couldn't find an answer to the problem. I then looked over the code again and realised what I didn't the first time. out of curiosity I popped the slightly edited code into search, and then it found a question and solution I'd already applied.

I'm not bitching, please don't think I am, I'm just simply mentioning something that makes newcomers want to post questions more than search.

And I had actually used the software, now after the first attempt to re-sign up didn't work (within 2 days), I Simply looked into the DB the next time and noticed they were still there in (rather than trying to sign up again):

wp_signups

I originally assumed this would prevent another sign up until the tables has cleared, however I see I was wrong in my assumption.

not checked other tables, however I just tested it now and yes I can sign up again, but still in the table mentioned above those details exist.

So the question is will these be purged, or will it be an ever growing list that will bloat the DB for no reason?

Anyway thank you for your answers.

Perhaps if these really are frequently asked questions, is there a FAQ section some where with those answers, as not every post with the question has the same answer, or even a full answer.

mmmm you say poked around the back end and read whats on the screen.

Just because it tells me what it's doing in writing doesn't mean it's actually doing it, I wasn't to know if they were bugs, or perhaps something else I needed to do first, as there could of been.

And with regards to the experts comment, I have seen through hours upon hours of searching there are some talented people here, also seems this project has lost many too, but this happens with all projects, as I noted from 6 years in the last OS project I worked in (well still am working in), and various other os projects around the web.

Anyway, thanks for all your time people, it's much appreciated, and sorry if I've caused some upset with what you see as simply questions.

15. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Again though, I did answer the question originally about 5 minutes after you posted it. Went to some length at it on the subject.

Please note the 'temp' portion of my username.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

(breaking my posting silence for a second)

This is not an Open Source *project*.

It is private code *released* to the OS community with no official support or documentation from the developers. Support and documentation are to be figured out by, provided by and written by the community.

There's a big huge sticky post on the front page with the proper search forum link. It would not have shown you trac results.

This is the way it works around here.

Do I like it? No. I'd change it if I could.

If anyone else wants my help, you know where to find me. (points to username)

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've seen you other places. :P

18. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi drmiketemp,

Thank you for the time you took, I have to say I didn't realise your user-name at first, well until you pointed it out, lol.

I presume you are staying around wpmu then?

I've had a fair bit of information overload recently lol but I thought you'd decided to take a different path.

Hi lunabyte,

I presume your last post was for Dr Mike, rather than myself?

Hi andrea_r,

Posting silence, did I say something wrong, or was this comment directed to the WP?

As I said I've spent a lot of time reading and researching WP, and although I've taken a lot in, I'm not the best with remembering names, so don't always match the posts to whom actually posted it.

I'll have a look for the search you mention, thanks for the pointer.

I don't really understand the point on the code release, it's released as gpl, which allows anyone to make changes and release new code, providing credits are in the code relating to the original stuff. Open source doesn't mean support or docs comes with it, that's just an added bonus.

quotes:

# Open source software is similar in idea to "free software" but slightly less rigid than the free software movement. Users of open source software are (generally) able to view the source code, alter and re-distribute open source software. There is however less of an emphasis in the open source movement o­n the right of information and source code to be free and in some cases companies are able to develop proprietary products based o­n open source o­nes.
    floss.meraka.org.za/postnukeII/modules.php

# In general, open source refers to any program whose source code is made available for use or modification as users or other developers see fit. (Historically, the makers of proprietary software have generally not made source code available.) Open source software is usually developed as a public collaboration and made freely available.
    home.comcast.net/~mtsonata/FinalProject/glossary.html

But OS/GPL code does not mean they have to make releases of new stuff.

So by definition WPMU is open source.

Anyway andrea_r, thank you for your offer of support, this is much appreciated, I'm sure when the next time comes which will more than likely be soon, then you'll catch me over there.

Take care

19. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd call it open source as well. You can poretty much do what you want with it afterward downloading it.

The issue is adding in your own code to the secure trunk but I can't see any open source project letting any one submit code without approval.

20. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

True, well under the GPL licence which I see it released, it permits this.

Your right no code commits can be made without prior approval, at least on the GPL/OS projects I've worked on, with and just used. This is pretty much common sense though, after all you don't want to run the risks of possible malice code getting in. :-)

Take care
    Tim

About this Topic