The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Farms comment spam pack (36 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Am on an anti-spam crusade today, and as part of that please find Farms comment spam pack in regular ol' WPMUDEV.

Basically it contains three slightly modified plugins to give you great CAPTCHA, link-overdrive and trackback protection... and it's working just fine for my sites :)

Just download, pop into mu-plugins, and say goodbye to comment spam (until they figure out how to get around it).

Cheers, James

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well I've installed it - time to sit back and see what happens ;)

3. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nothing, hopefully :)

4. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

While your waiting, I've noticed the spam-filter.php needs a menu name from the function init() after the "7 words you can't say in a comment". Why "texas" BTW?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

As in... the card game, maybe?

Although, kinda kills Texas Motor Speedway. LOL

6. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've changed trackback validator to be a site_option plugin with site_admin page.

Replace all 'get_option' with 'get_site_option', all 'add_option' with 'add_site_option', and all 'update_option' with 'update_site_option'.

Oh, and add the following

add_action('admin_menu', 'stbv_add_site_options_to_admin');

after changing

function stbv_add_site_options_to_admin() {
    add_submenu_page('wpmu-admin.php', 'Simple TB Validation', 'Simple TB Validation', 8, basename(__FILE__), 'stbv_adminOptions');
    }
  7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Makes sense to me.

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well checking my apache logs it looks like its working.

Having to edit the files to define captcha words and banned words is a bit of a pain - I know that its not your plugin though.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

If it is as effective as sk2, as James claims, and is also much less resource intensive, it'll be a nice addition.

10. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey dsader, ping me any edits you've made and I'll upload a new pack - james (at) incsub [dot] org

I kinda got fed up with SK2, too many headaches.

It's working a treat for me, no complaints from Edublogs users either in about a week of having it, so something must be right :)

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make captcha (and bannable) words a Site Admin option too. And maybe adding some more fonts.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

For me, to be honest, I'd almost prefer to have it hard coded. It isn't something that would change often, and since it's in the comment area where every spammer is going to try to insert their crap, a couple less DB calls could be a significant help. Then again, that's me. :)

12. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Farms, I use wp-morph for PHP 5 as well: http://neuromancer.inf.um.es/blog/index.php?s=wp-morph&submit=Search.

I prefer the math question capatcha for comments: http://www.herod.net/dypm/

Spam-filter and simple-trackback-validation both add/get options/logs from sitemeta tables and are visible via Site Admin only. I can't verify the effectiveness(under normal use) of these edits to your original pack as my users/students are on vacation till Sept.

Each blog already has a user-friendly options page for bad words and blacklist etc, I do think the Site Admin should have one in the SiteAdmin to override all others. Perhaps there is a clean way I can mimic options-discussion.php to become site_options-discussion.php. I'll continue.

13. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Lunabyte, would be much appreciated if you could briefly explain how to hard code this in.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

SteveAtty: "Having to edit the files to define captcha words and banned words is a bit of a pain - I know that its not your plugin though.

Nothing for me to explain.

15. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

I tried the math one... although to be honest, it's a bit hard :)

16. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No comment.

So has anything managed to slip through on anyone? Anyone that's moved from SK2 notice any improvement in performance?

17. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i switched. i'm kinda sad though. i was getting used o deleting the spam comments that got thru. since installing this, i havent had a single spam comment. :(

now my users will have no reason to email me and whine.

18. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

LOL...

Point well taken.

19. asm01
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi all. Working on getting an MU site up and rolling, installed Farm's pack, and have a user that is complaining about still getting spammed.

The trackback validator is catching 'em, but she's still getting emails because the trackback validator is putting them in her moderation queue (which, I understand the reasoning, 'cuase might not be spam and might want to let it through.).

The site is set to only allow registrations from people that have email addys belonging to our domain. And, aside from expanding the word list spam-filter.php and changing the captcha wordlist, Farm's pack is istalled without any mods/changes.

Her blog has the following settings (T=on, F=off):
    T - Users must be registered and logged in to comment
    F - Attempt to notify any Weblogs linked to from the article (slows down posting.)
    F - Allow link notifications from other Weblogs (pingbacks and trackbacks.)
    F - Allow people to post comments on the article
    F - Anyone posts a comment
    F - A comment is held for moderation
    T - An administrator must always approve the comment
    T - Comment author must fill out name and e-mail
    T - Comment author must have a previously approved comment

Sample of spam she is getting:
    ---------------
    [BLOCKED BY STBV] Soma buy soma cheap soma soma online. | archive.org/details/somason | IP: 216.130.161.111

Cheap soma….

Cheap soma watson. Cheap soma. Soma buy soma cheap soma soma online. Watson soma cheap….
    ---------------

She'd be happy with zero comments allowed (yeah, i know, defeats the whole purpose of a blog - sigh) and she definately doesnt want to have to do any moderation and doesnt want to continue to receive emails about spam.

Aside from expanding the list word filter in spam-filter.php (which i've been working on), is there anything I'm overlooking? And, any ideas as to why she still gets emails with the settings her blog has?

Thanks in advance

edit - i think i found possible reason these are still getting through. Old posts imported from old blog software are individually set to allow pings and comments.

20. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

May want to try the comment timeout plugin. I wasn't able to set it to 0 days, but you can set it to 1 day and that may help. That will close comments on all posts after 1 day.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/WPMU-Comment-Timeout

Steve

21. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Comment timeout is nice for your own blog but as an mu-plugin tends to piss users off (I know, I've tried it!)

Perhaps someone smarter than I wants to hack the trackback validator just to kick stuff out?

22. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree James. It tends to cause more harm (ticking users off) than good.

23. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'm seeing this error every day. plugin is working beautifully, so i've always ignored it.
    'PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function add_action() in /home/***/public_html/rsb/wp-content/mu-plugins/custom_anti_spam.php on line 269'

other than that error, no issues. the evil spammers have been held at bay for 3 months now.

24. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check which version of mu you're running. That sounds just like the error we were getting with the image uploading as the add_action was missing as well.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/1116

25. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've just been hit by some trackback spam and the trackback spam trapper fails with the following error:

PHP Fatal error: Class 'Snoopy' not found in simple-trackback-validation.php on line 157

26. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've down loaded the latest version of the trackback spam checker from the authors website, and it still did it.

Oddly enough if I put together a code block that checks for the snoopy class, loads it if needed and then creates a new snoopy object it works fine. So for the time being I've turned off URL validation.

27. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am having the same problem, snoopy class not found. I guess its not that big of a deal?

Edit: I also have a question about the same script. I have the log activated, but I dont know if it will show all the trackbacks caught for all the blogs accross my site or just the admin blog? Where is the log stored?

28. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Weird - I installed it yesterday, no errors, it's catching spam (at least I know it is by the absence of it), and I figured the backend menus were just removed. Lemme go read the code...

29. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, it IS catching spam. I can see like 20 entries in my log, and my other personal blog has gotten 0 spam since I uploaded the file. But still, my error log is full of this error.

30. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

i am actually really pleased with this! I was getting hammered with spam comments prior to running this had to install Akismet. Since installing it, I have not had one spam comment get through and in two weeks Akismet has only had one spam comment it had to deal with. Simply amazing....

Trent

About this Topic