The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing Wordpress MU on top of Wordpress (10 posts)

1. Netdetective
    Posted 18 years ago #

I currently have regular Wordpress installed and working. Is it ok to install Wordpress MU Edition on top of it, or should it always be installed separately? Will I need to create a new MY Sql database for this, or can I use the same one that regular WP is currently using?

2. gserafini
    Posted 18 years ago #

Wordpress MU includes the latest Wordpress codebase and includes a lot of changed functionality.

For my own installation, I'm going with only WPMU where I want it to make it a little bit simpler.

I'm not sure if others have experience installing WPMU on top of a regular Wordpress installation. It seems that there are a number of gotchas (just read the threads in this forum for examples)...

Good luck either way :)

3. Netdetective
    Posted 18 years ago #

Does WPMU offer great advantages over WP if my goal is to quickly bring in lots of visitors from Google? I would like to be able to have a couple different blog pages related to different topics, so I guess WPMU is what I need. I guess it does the same thing as Movable Type except it uses php.

I am new to blogging, so I'm still learning about how they work. From what I see, a blog works like a continuous news reel, with the newest stuff at the top, but the question is what happens when it gets too long? It would have to be continued on another page.
    Fred

4. gserafini
    Posted 18 years ago #

You probably just should use regular Wordpress for what you're looking for. WPMU is a much more complicated install for what you're asking for.

5. Netdetective
    Posted 18 years ago #

It's also stated as unstable, being it's still in development. What happens if I just add new categories in regular Wordpress? Maybe that will effectively create new blogs. Maybe I can make regular Wordpress work more like WPMU.

6. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

WPMU is designed for a large scale multi user blogging community ie. wordpress.com it isn't just so you can run a few different blogs on different topics.

What you suggested with categories sounds like the way to go.

7. Netdetective
    Posted 18 years ago #

Creating new categories evidently doesn't achieve that goal. My new posts are all appearing on both my main blog page and "Archive" pages, which creates defacto duplicate content - a big issue with Google and Yahoo. The way it's going, it's going to end up taking me months just to learn how to use Wordpress.

At http://www.beyourowndetective.com/blog, my goal is to create blogs such as "people" "crime" "security." Creating separate categories in WP doesn't seem to work.

8. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

That won't be a problem, it is the way blogs work. Just do a search for itunes lost on Google, that is just one of the many results I (jasonbainbridge.com) have that pop up on the first page. You should browse over to http://codex.wordpress.org and read up on how it all works. :)

9. Netdetective
    Posted 18 years ago #

Jason,
    I honestly don't know what "Categories" are supposed to achieve since they don't appear to do anything. All the posts still end up on page 1. I created the categories "people" "crime" and "security." If I were to install WPMU, would that allow me to create separate blog pages for those 3 categories instead of marrying all of them on the same main page?

I checked out your site. Did you create this with regular Wordpress? I see you're from Australia.

10. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes it is Wordpress (single user) but I run the development builds however the look of the site hasn't changed since I moved from 1.5.

By default in most themes all categories are displayed on the front page as a blog typically is all your thoughts as you have them, you then categorize those thoughts so you can later look at that category to see all thoughts you had for that category. A similar concept exists with Tags and the WP-Taggerati plugin I use.

To setup your Wordpress to only show a single category on the front page you need to go read through the Codex that I linked to specifically about the loop and how to do things differently for different categories.

As I stated earlier WPMU is for a large multi-user community so each user can have their own blog it isn't designed just so you can have a few different pages each for your categories.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by Netdetective
  • Latest reply from jaseone