The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

'Update Fade' Admin Plugin? (8 posts)

1. JMF
    Posted 16 years ago #

While I'm thinking about it... has anyone written some sort of admin plugin that would give users an 'update fade' message box on their dashboard page when they log in?

Would that be too annoying? It seems like a nice way to highlight important changes. It might be cool to have an admin page where you could set and/or manage alerts... or how about this? -- an option to alert users one time about something... say, if they log in after some arbitrary date. After that, they're considered notified, and they don't get zapped again until there's another important message.

Just a thought, anyway. I've searched around and found no such thing. If school wasn't about to start back up, I might make it my first plugin project! (It doesn't seem too hard, right?) As it is, I'm about to be slammed... :(

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Annoying? Yes. Like 1996 annoying.

If you "really" want to do it, why not just add a div with that class to wp-admin/index/php?

3. JMF
    Posted 16 years ago #

Welp, that's my stop-gap, after all. (And hey, at least it's not <blink>...) But yeah, if I don't have a mechanism to do it only once, it ain't gonna flash-n-fade.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just code in the class like they do for the updates.

It's like class="fade" or something like that.

5. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

The fade element is really annoying, we've developed an admin message plugin though, which basically does that from site admin, without the fade :)

For when you don't want to edit menu-header.php every week!

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then again, there's always my Admin Notes plugin too. :P

7. JMF
    Posted 16 years ago #

Heh. O, I've got it, and it's a beautiful thing. :) I was looking for something a little more 'urgent' to use in connection with it, as well. This looks like it fits the bill.

8. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you want "urgent" go in and bump up the font size in the plugin.

About this Topic