The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple blogs from signup, single e-mail, 1 admin, several student accounts (8 posts)

1. mifouane
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I am maintaining this for teachers who want to create blogs for their students. Our clients want to simplify the signup process for the teachers. Since most teachers have several classes, they need to create a separate blog for each of their classes.

They would like to be able to create several blogs using the same e-mail address, that creates a single admin account (for the teacher) and a student account for each blog.

I have inherited this project from a contractor who has already modified the code to automatically creates a student account once the admin account has been created. However, teachers then had to login to create the other blogs.

They would like for the signup page to give them the option to create more blogs from the start, before clicking on the "signup" button.

I have looked at the wp-signup.php and it doesn't look like something that would be easy to implement...Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give :)

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

You'd have to write an array for the wp-signup.php page code and run through a fair number of functions for each blog created. I don't see an easy way of doing this.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is it "really" that big of a deal to visit the sign-up page again when you're logged in? I mean, 2 clicks and it's all done.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

If they make a list for you ahead of time, there's a plugin/ script over at http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com that will take a list and import it in and create them for you.

I'm tempted to make a teachers are lazy creatures crack but I know better.

5. mifouane
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks everyone.

I don't think making the list ahead of time is an option but I will keep that in mind. Ya, I was thinking the same thing, no big deal...but according to my clients, it is. I was hoping I could find an easier way to do this before telling them I won't do it.

The simplest idea I had was to add a button to the signup page beside the "signup" button that says "create another blog" in the function "signup_blog"...so that teachers can create as many blogs as they want before they click on the signup button.

But the way it currently works, the code responds based on the value of the hidden field (not the button...I assume this is because the value of the button can be in several different languages), so I'm not sure how to implement this so that it responds to "another blog" when the user clicks on that button. Any ideas?

6. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm tempted to make a teachers are lazy creatures crack but I know better.

I teach about 240 students every week. Each year about 30 of my students graduated and about 30 new students enroll. Each year the remaining 200 or so change classes. I have mu set up so blogs are aggregated into classes, sections and whole school.

Having bulk creation and automatic functions is highly desirable to me and not just because I am lazy!

Richard (the teacher)

7. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm working on a way to make hundreds of blogs at once, though I'm running into a problem where only the first one gets a title and every one after that ends up blank. Anyway, the function wpmu_create_blog() in wpmu-functions.php does all the heavy lifting of blog creation. Just keep passing a new $title and $path to it and you should be able to create as many blogs as you want.

8. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've posted in your other thread -- suggestion take a look at how the upgrade script works.

Richard

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mifouane
  • Latest reply from mysorehead