The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

visual editor not showing up--but i have it turned on! (20 posts)

1. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok guys,

I've installed Wordpress for a friend and have used wordpress.com (i.e. WP MU) for my own blog for a while. I'm currently in the process of setting up the latest version of MU at my place of employment, but I cannot get the Visual editor to show up! Yes, I have the option turned on for users (Users>>Edit>>Use the visual editor when writing). But that tab just will not show up. I am on version "Wordpress-mu-1.2.3-2.2.1". I have several users and none of us (including admin) have access to the visual editor. Any ideas at all? Is there some required plugin? I was under the impression that WPMU ships with a visual editor built in. Thanks!

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Log out, clear your browser's file and cookie cache, and try again.

http://faq.wordpress.com/2006/04/12/the-editor-has-gone/

Also what specific browser and browser version are you using?

3. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

No dice. I'm uing FF 2.0.0.5, but have also tried in IE7 and Opera. Also, it works fine when I log into other WP sites that I work on (i.e. my personal one on wordpress.com and one I set up for my church). It is something specific to this wordpress mu installation.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, it's there. Anything in your webserver's error logs?

5. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

Unfortunately, no. Nothing in the error log. :-(

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

You have the check box checked, right? Dashboard -> Users -> Your profile -> The check box near the top.

What are you seeing? Can you do a screen cap and upload it somewhere please?

7. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sure. Thanks again for taking the time to look at this. I have 2 screenshots. The second one is just showing that the option is correctly turned on.

http://bearspace.baylor.edu/David_Taylor/www/wp1.jpg
    http://bearspace.baylor.edu/David_Taylor/www/wp2.jpg

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmmm, that is strange. Gotta admit that I'm at a loss on this one. It should be showing up.

Open up your database to wp-users, find your account and make sure you have a meta_key labeled 'rich_editing' and it's set to true. Make sure you only have a single meta_key for it as well.

Heck, try turning the check box off, save, and reclick it and resave it just to see if that works.

9. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, rich_editing is set to true. I've already tried the check on/off. Still no dice. :-(

10. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm at a loss.

I just noticed that options appear to be duping again in the table. You don't have multiple 'rich_editing' options in the table, do you? I just setup up mu for a client and that bug appears to still not be resolved.

11. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

No. When I do a select all for my userid, there is only a single "rich_editing" option--and no duplicates of any of the other options. This is really strange.

12. davidctaylor
    Posted 16 years ago #

I ended up finding the problem. I was using a plugin (LDAP plugin, specifically) that used "short tags" (ie. <? instead of <?PHP). I had corrected it in the files I saw and it worked. However, there was one other php file that I had missed and it was causing errors when it was included in the wp-admin header (but not writing to any logs!). I ended up turning on Firebug and saw some odd warnings and it led me to this. Whew!!!

13. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm, that's strange.

Well I'm glad you got it worked out. :)

14. clappingtree
    Posted 16 years ago #

Strange. I started having this problem only today. David, how did you solve your problem?

15. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

See two posts up. What have you done recently or changed to your install?

16. clappingtree
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you, Dr Mike. I don't remember changing anything to my install recently. Upgraded to WP 2.2.1 on 12th July. That's quite long ago. My web host changed the Cpanel recently. Would that have any impact?

As for the wp-usermeta table, as davidctaylor put it, "when I do a select all for my userid, there is only a single "rich_editing" option--and no duplicates of any of the other options."

I don't use any LDAP plugin. When I turned on Firebug, I don't see any odd warnings. The following "edButtons" division seems to be greyed out though:

<div id="edButtons" style="display: none;">
    <div class="zerosize">
    <input type="button" onclick="switchEditors("content")" accesskey="e"/>
    </div>
    <input id="edButtonPreview" class="edButtonFore" type="button" value="Visual"/>
    <input id="edButtonHTML" class="edButtonBack" type="button" onclick="switchEditors("content")" value="Code"/>
    </div>

Likewise, the "quicktags" and "ed_toolbar" divisions are also greyed out:

<div id="quicktags">
    <script src="http://www.clappingtrees.com/wp-includes/js/quicktags.js?ver=3958" type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <div id="ed_toolbar">
    <input id="ed_strong" class="ed_button" type="button" value="b" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 0);" accesskey="b"/>
    <input id="ed_em" class="ed_button" type="button" value="i" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 1);" accesskey="i"/>
    <input id="ed_link" class="ed_button" type="button" value="link" onclick="edInsertLink(edCanvas, 2);" accesskey="a"/>
    <input id="ed_block" class="ed_button" type="button" value="b-quote" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 3);" accesskey="q"/>
    <input id="ed_del" class="ed_button" type="button" value="del" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 4);" accesskey="d"/>
    <input id="ed_ins" class="ed_button" type="button" value="ins" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 5);" accesskey="s"/>
    <input id="ed_img" class="ed_button" type="button" value="img" onclick="edInsertImage(edCanvas);" accesskey="m"/>
    <input id="ed_ul" class="ed_button" type="button" value="ul" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 7);" accesskey="u"/>
    <input id="ed_ol" class="ed_button" type="button" value="ol" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 8);" accesskey="o"/>
    <input id="ed_li" class="ed_button" type="button" value="li" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 9);" accesskey="l"/>
    <input id="ed_code" class="ed_button" type="button" value="code" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 10);" accesskey="c"/>
    <input id="ed_more" class="ed_button" type="button" value="more" onclick="edInsertTag(edCanvas, 11);" accesskey="t"/>
    <input id="ed_spell" class="ed_button" type="button" value="lookup" title="Dictionary lookup" onclick="edSpell(edCanvas);"/>
    <input id="ed_close" class="ed_button" type="button" value="close tags" title="Close all open tags" onclick="edCloseAllTags();"/>
    </div>
    </div>

I do see a strange warning message while browsing wp-users: "UNIQUE and INDEX keys should not both be set for column user_login"

user_login is currently of type "Unique" while user_login_key is currently of type "Index". Any problem here?

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Upgraded to WP 2.2.1 on 12th July.

You're on the wrong forum. WordPress Support is over here.

18. clappingtree
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oops! I did a search earlier on "Visual editor not showing" and landed here. Thanks, Lunabyte.

19. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep. Not that I'm trying to be mean, but MU is typically running more advanced code than is fully available to the public.

In turn, that makes it difficult to really help a WP user, plus their forums need something to do anyway. :)

20. TheDonSansone
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmiketemp wrote:
    "Open up your database to wp-users, find your account and make sure you have a meta_key labeled 'rich_editing' and it's set to true. Make sure you only have a single meta_key for it as well."

I looked in upgrade-schema.php and at line 324/325 it deletes unused options including 'rich_editing' in version 1.2.5 ?

I have the basic code editor working fine but no Visual Editor even with check box; checking the DB which had no meta_key; tried adding a meta_key line in Users table but nothing !!

One of my systems is running 1.2.1 like a dream... but 1.2.5 - no TinyMCE... checked error code in IE7 browser and it reports a script error object expected char1 code0 on line 122.. which points to the start of jQuery ?? specifically….
    jQuery(document).ready(

Interesting as the earlier ver1.2.1 of WMPU has an earlier version of jquery:
    /wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.1.1
    whereas WMPU1.2.5 is ver=1.1.2 and has a completely different call layout !!

I am not a programmer - so unfortunately don’t know what to do next….. any ideas?

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by davidctaylor
  • Latest reply from TheDonSansone