The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Edit users Primary Blog - Incorrect re-direction (5 posts)

1. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been playing around with a test installation, and noticed if you set up another blog for a user and he/she was to abandon their first blog by assigning it to another user, every time you logged in or clicked admin, it attempted to send the user to their original primary blog resulting in error.

I can't figure your trac system out, ie how to register, so thought I'd post it here.

Forgive me if this has been reported and/or fixed in a nightly, I couldn't find it through search if it has.

Anyway if your having this problem, I couldn't see any visible way from the site admin end to change the DB, please correct me if there is a way.

ok I'm using PHPMyAdmin here, and I'll assume you have some knowledge of DB management, it's pretty easy anyway.

You will need to know the UID of your user, then go to the DB find the table: wp_usermeta in there you need to find the ones relating to the UID you want to change, in my case it was UID 2, there is then one containing the metakey: 'primary_blog' and meta_value will contain the primary blog id. Simply change that to the users new primary blog id and your done.

Please be sure of what your doing before changing any values, perhaps back it up first to be sure as I take no responsibility for any mistakes you make.

Anyway this has worked for me. :-)

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Greets:

trac - You sign is using the same username and password you do here in the forums. It's all connected.

There's a primary blog switcher on the Premium WPMUdev site. Not sure you if want to pony up that money for it though although the multi db plugin is nice. I'd go ahead and open up a ticket though.

I would think that stepping into another primary blog when the first one is deleted would be a good idea. The issue I see though would be if the user deletes their only blog and then creates a new one.

You could always say screw it and just always redirect to the main page on the home site of course during login. That's probably overkill though.

Good note though. Thanks :)

3. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Dr Mike,

Thanks for the pointer on the Trac, I was looking for a register link and couldn't find one, I clicked the login and when the .htaccess style form came up I just presumed it had been closed or something. Makes sense that the login details are shared, perhaps this was that obvious many over look the fact. lol

I probably will sign up to the subscription thing on wpmudev, I like the idea of some of their plugins, I also like the idea of a subscription type plugin to possibly generate some revenue, which I believe they are doing as commented over there:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/news/Introducing-WPMUDEV-Premium/#comment-top

near the bottom of the comments I think.

I'm not in desperate need of their plugins just yet, as I'm still testing all the installation, plugins, themes, etc.

There are a lot of themes out there, a load of them don't support widgets, or the wp_footer to bring in features like the admin bar, so on the designs I've really liked, I've had to spend a decent amount of time bringing them up to some kinda spec so that I could use them.

Thanks for your reply

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not a problem.

Do note that they haven't written a subscription plugin yet that I'm aware of. We've had some discussion about introducting paid features like domain mapping to end users. You could probably search for 'paid features' to see those threads.

5. gmax21
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah I've not gone in-depth on the paid/subscription features just yet, as it's not the most important, it's more of a side thought for myself at the moment.

No it isn't written as yet, just a comment that mentions they will be doing something in the near future, so when I decide on paying the subscription fee to get those cool plugins offered, I may hold off until the said plugin becomes available.

Posted by Andrew over at WPMUDev:

As for the groups feature, The premium plugin I described above will most likely be the closest thing we'll be offering for a while.

However, after reading through your comment again, you may find that the Premium plugin meets most of your needs.

About this Topic