The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

rel nofollow user blogrolls (10 posts)

1. djsteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there any easy way to alter code so that all blogrolls will have rel="nofollow" added?

Anyway to disable the nofollow if it is a link to an ON domain blog?

Any way of having this feature enabled by default, but able to be disabled on a per blog basis. (if the blog meats quality guidelines or someone was to pay sponsor)

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any way?

Sure. Code it.

3. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gotta admit that it does sound like something you're going to have to code yourself as I don't recall any plugin what will do this. Either that or contract out from someone on Automattic's list and pay for someone to do it. It's not something that wordpress does internally as a setting.

The blogroll would be fairly easy I would think. Just add in the rel="nofollow" to the links widget code and the wp_get_links(); function call. (Can't do a search currently so I can't tell you what file it's in.) Probably best bet would be a filter for the post content, check to see is the url of the domain exists within the link and then add in the nofollow if it doesn't.

I gotta admit that I just add in the dofollow plugin and let endusers make up their own mind on the issue.

4. peanutpad
    Posted 16 years ago #

That really isn't what renofollow is for. If you put sites in your blog roll then you must like these sites so why put nofollow like it's a comment link that you don't trust?

5. djsteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's more for the people that start blogs on my MU system and then put 100 links in their blogroll.. I don't stress them sending traffic that way - but sucking away pagerank to those other sites is not in my best interest... so in this case that is exactly what rel nofollow is for... of course I don't mind turning the rel nofollow off on certain blogs if they are using the blogroll responsibly.. which is why I'd like a way to turn it on or off on a per blog basis, althoug I think having it default on is the best idea for MU systems..

MHO
    Steve

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can think of reasons why I would want to put a link within my blogroll but don't give them credit of a link.

7. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Juice Karma will cause this strategy to fail.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Which strategy?

Perfect example: I believe we have to leave in the links to wp.org. Do you think I want to give them link credit?

9. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm talking the strategy of putting in rel=nofollow in blogroll links for personal blogs created by users - its bad Juice Karma.

10. nims
    Posted 16 years ago #

I guess the option should be there in the admin to add rel=nofollow tag to the links so that admin of the blog can decide if the pagerank juice needs to be passed to a particular site or not.

About this Topic