The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding users, but NOT blogs. (36 posts)

1. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Before I attempt to do it, has anyone come up with a way to add users without creating a new blog? I'm using MU in such a way that I may need more than one blogger writing for a single blog, but I don't want a bunch of redundant blogs floating around once I create those extra users on the system.

Thanks in advance.

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

hmm, I remember A while back we got rid of blog owners creating additional users. At the time, the code was just commented out in the admin panel. If it's still just commented you will have no problem enabling this feature.

3. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yep... looks like it's commented out in wp-admin/users.php

Thanks for that - you saved me a job!!

Cheers

B

4. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I was the one arguing for it not to be commented out :)

I've tried uncommenting it since but it hasn't worked... if you get it working could you tell me.

Also, is there a reason in terms of the database / usernames etc. that adding users that way is undesirable? I'm kinda hesitant to use it if it's not supported and might have the potential to cause issues... (I've had some pretty serious issues with WPMU in early years!)

And one final thing... {rant} would people just *GET OVER* group blogs... almost invariably they're crap imitations of DBs... haven't they heard of frickin RSS {/rant}

5. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

James you need to make two changes to the file:- Firstly uncomment the php code at the bottom and then in the switch section at the top remove the exit; command for the case 'adduser':.

Yes it is a bit cluncky but it does work.

Not sure I get your point as to why they are crap imitations of DBs? If you have a group of people who are working together on a specific topic then group blog is a valid publishing platform. For example with some of my industry work it would make sense to have a group blog, where we can all publish on the same topic. Publishing on my own blog would mean that the specific content would get lost. Yes I could create a category, then RSS that category, then merge with the other 7 people's category RSS feeds but that seems like a huge amount of effort. I think there is a post in this :-)

6. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

Update: not sure about this but it may not really work I think I buggered my test site. All users seem to have been added to my primary blog :-( now I just need to work out how to undo this, deleting users from a blog does not seem possible any thoughts?

7. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Well here's my reason for wanting multiple users on more than one blog - http://www.wurk.net

It's a growing network of career advice, jobhunting tips, and 'work hack' blogs - each covering a specific industry sector. In some cases, I think it would be beneficial to have more than one person writing for the same blog - they're all tightly focused topics.

Not in any way is it a crap imitation of anything. ;o)

8. Invizz
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

barybell, this option is included in main release.

But i dont think its a big deal to add non-blog users. what for?

9. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Not sure I understand your question. By 'main release', you're talking about WP single user, right?

That's fine for one blog. However, I'm running a network of blogs - 9 now, and a further 20 planned to go live by Christmas.

If I was using single user WP, that would have meant 30 separate installs of the core files - and the same number of copies of the generic theme I'm using.

It was a nightmare to manage with just 9 blogs, nevermind 30.

10. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

[to the tune of your favourite opera] Aggregation, aggregation, aggregation, aggregation, aggregation, aggregation etc. etc.

Don't have loadsa people all blogging on the same page unless it's a serious publication I reckon (i.e. engadget, the spin starts here, many2many).

But heck, I could be wrong, I frequently am ;)

11. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

But they *are* serious publications.

;o)

12. Ste_000
    Posted 18 years ago #

hi guys....i have the 12-18-05 release....where is the code php commented out in users.php? i haven't found this ! help me please, thanks

13. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

I also would like to allow people to join member blogs without starting their own blogs. Exactly where is this code that I can un-comment?

Thanks in advance for any help.

14. Crimsontech
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is not necessary anymore. The current live version does not require a blog to be created with each new user account. The signup form has a radio button to select either:

Gimme a blog!
    Just a username, please.

15. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you Crimsontech. Unfortunately, upgrading isn't really an option right at this moment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

16. Crimsontech
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't know, but perhaps you might be helped if you download the source and run a diff and see what was added... if you're mildly proficient in PHP, you should be able to get it working.

Then again, if someone else has better advice, take it. :D

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I was gong to offer a similar suggestion - instead of a full upgrade, just upgrade (copy, paste) the affected files for what you want. Only two problems with that though: knowing which files and if they affect other things.

18. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Apparently, I am missing something. Did someone mention the name of the .php file and the snippet of code within that file that can be un-commented out? According to an earlier post, that's really all I need. Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't need to upgrade or replace a whole file.

19. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Here we go:

From Andrew Bilts: "hmm, I remember A while back we got rid of blog owners creating additional users. At the time, the code was just commented out in the admin panel. If it's still just commented you will have no problem enabling this feature."

20. billn
    Posted 17 years ago #

I need help with instructions to put the feature allowing adding new users without creating new blogs back.
    Thanks

Bill N.

21. federom
    Posted 17 years ago #

im having a problem with the users with no blogs . The problem is that after creating just a user , when he loggued in and tries to go to his admin page it saids that the user has not privileges...

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Fede

22. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

As far as I can read, this question has not been solved yet.
    I would also like to let my users add other users in their blogs.

Could someone tell us how to do it ?
    Thank you,
    Benjamin

23. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is quite an old thread, but nowadays people can register as a user and can then be added by a blog admin to a blog.

In the last few days I made a change so that new users are added to the main blog as a "subscriber" so they can edit their profile.

24. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

But the admin of a blog cannot add a user to his blog ?

OK I got it : the user has to register to the blogs.
    Then the admin can "add" him to his community.

Is that right ?

I still have a problem : When I want to remove a user, I got a message saying that this function has been disabled. How can I remove someone I've added ?

25. visualsky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Donncha,
    Thanks for making these changes. When and where can I get the new files/upgrade for these changes. Is it going to be a feature that can be turned on and off and will a notification email feature to admin be in this lot of changes.

regards Visualsky

26. shacker
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK I got it : the user has to register to the blogs.
    Then the admin can "add" him to his community.

That does seem to be the case. The question is, why is this different from standard WordPress? Why can't a blog owner / admin simply add users from the back-end normally? This seems like a weird hoop to make people jump through.

I don't want to allow self-registrations. I do want blog owners (teachers) to be able to easily add users from the Admin.

Is there a reason why this is the way it is?

Thanks.

27. shacker
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see now that there IS a way to add a user directly - from Site Admin | Users. Once a user is entered there, a blog owner can use their Users panel to invite that email address to become a user on that blog.

I guess I'm not seeing how this is useful - this puts the responsibility for adding users on the main administrator, rather than on individual blog owners (in my case, the teachers that will be running the various blogs).

So I don't want to enable public signups, and I don't want to create users myself. I want blog owners to be able to create users for their blogs, but it seems like WPMU is architected with the reverse workflow.

Suggestions welcome. Is there a plugin to make it possible for blog owners to add users directly? Anyone know why it doesn't work this way by default?

28. taylor2nd
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been trying to achieve the same thing shacker. WPMU feels very odd. It tried to go against the perfect ways of the stand alone wordpress? And i cant figure why?

I"m actually contemplating going to a stand alone wordpress install for each participant of my project. n bridging them with my own code..

29. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

I need this as well. I have teachers that would like to register students as commenters and/or posters for individual blogs, but right now it looks like students would have to be added by the overall siteadmin, or the students would have to be given permissions to register as teachers currently are, ie. the normal signup for a useraccount or blog.

What I would like is:

1. Only teachers can sign up for blogs.
    2. After teachers have accounts, teachers can add students as commenters and/or users of the teacher's blog.

I think this is exactly what you want, taylor?

30. GeoffreyKOBrien
    Posted 16 years ago #

Moorezilla, Im in the same boat as you. I want to be able to have teachers add their students, or at least have a way to mass import all of them. I have looked at LDAP, but there isn't a way to restrict students to a specific role by default when they first login. I hope someone has an answer for this, teachers are breathing down my neck.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by barrybell
  • Latest reply from GeoffreyKOBrien