The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog of the day script? (9 posts)

1. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there any known "blog of the day" plugin out there?

what im looking for is a script that would take a snapshot of the frontpage for the blog in question, get the title, the link and a short summary of the latest entry, and display it all in a nice package, i guess the toughest part would be to get the snapshot feature? ive been searching for it, but dont really know what this feature would be called.

Also im looking for a shoutbox function, i have found a few of theese, but none that limits the stream of messages, i dont want one message to be replaced by the next one if someone posts a few seconds later, i guess this could be solved by entering all new posts in a db and use a randomizer to get the message id, altough with this tought i ran into a brickwall aswell, how do i erase messages when they are older then say 24hours?

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Friendly reminder that if you want a special feature, chances are you're either doing to have to hire someone or code it yourself.

Both those topics have been discussed at fairly great length already in the forums. I have to ask. Have you searched the forums and taken a look?

3. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could ah_recent_posts_mu be close?
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Most-recent-posts and http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Most-recent-posts---updated.

Of course you only want one random blog in the list of blogs so

$blogs = $wpdb->get_col("SELECT blog_id FROM $wpdb->blogs WHERE last_updated >= DATE_SUB(CURRENT_DATE(), INTERVAL 3 DAY) ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,1");

That should work, right?

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Also depends on how you want to define a blog as being singled out for recognization. I was doing it as an average page view within the last 48 hours.

5. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

dsader yes that is half way there ( im using it to display last updated blogs), altough i seem to be really lucking out on the image part, have been asking around and seems to get gooseegg on this one, thinking about installing an avatar system and get the avatar image as image to the blog for the front side

Mike, yeah did try to search for the blog of the day feature im trying to find, but as i said i didnt know what to search for, the other part about the shoutbox was an idea i got while typing, and it kinda squessed in to the post :D i think this would be some light editing to get it to satisfaction, found the solution to be in cron-jobs

about hiring a coder, i have done so for a project regarding wpmu, it hasĀ“nt begun yet, but looking forward to see the fruit of it

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not a problem. And again, it really depends on how you want to define how a blog gets selected as blog fo the day.

7. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bloggproffs, are you looking for something like I'm running on my site? I have a wpmu-powered Muslim Blogs site that features 4 "Blogs of the Moment" that are all randomly pulled based on hits and a number of other things.

I've also got my avatar solution feeding into that mechanism, and if a user hasn't uploaded an avatar, it's pulling a screenshot of their blog and displaying that instead.

8. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

Suleiman, yes thats exactly what im looking for, is their any chans to try that script out? looked at yoursite, both the site and the plugin looks really great, Good job.

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

so suleiman, how much are you selling that solution for?

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by Bloggproffs
  • Latest reply from demonicume