The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Automatic registration of Users Across Multiple blogs (23 posts)

1. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello. I've read about this topic by searching this site and am met with some conflicting responses, likely due to the age of the posts I've uncovered. Thusly, I'd like to ask this question again as it relates to the current version of WPmu and any plug-ins and mods available.

The scenario: a blog site with multiple sub-blogs where authors can not only register themselves (rather than admins of sub-blogs registering each author individually) across all sub-blogs.

Is this possible? If so, how?

The lengthy explanation (in case I didn't explain it well above LOL):

I have a site with WPmu that will contain individual author blogs, but also community blogs they can post to. I'd like the author to be automatically registered to be able to post in all community blogs when they sign up.

Help. Please and thank you so very much.

Sincerely,

Xandria

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is this possible? If so, how?

Yes. You'll have to code it.

3. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

You need some blogs that allow any registered user to post.

Try blicki, basically turns blogs into wikis.

http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/blicki/trunk/blicki.php

Activate the plugin in only the "community" blogs.(There are clever ways to do this, and hide the plugin from your users . . . later).

Edit the blicki.php to add an
    <?php if (is site-admin()){options no one should fiddle with} ?>
    around the stuff in the options page so your users can't make a blog for anyone to edit.

While editing blicki.php look for the line.
    add_option('blicki_who_can_edit', 'authors');
    change it to
    add_option('blicki_who_can_edit', 'anyone');

I really haven't done anything with the plugin, but it looks like something you'll want to look at. Certain blogs in which any user can post. Oh, turn on the privacy settings(http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/More-Privacy-Options) to make the "community" blog require a login to view.

I'm done.

EDIT: oops.

Or this
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2679&page&replies=1

Update:
    wpmu 1.2.4 line 1177 has this line
    add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber');

I suppose dupping the line and changing the 1 to whatever will work for new registrations, current users will have no way in, though.

Blicki, it is.

4. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Another thing I did was change the edit-form-advanced to hide the Edit Author box in the edit-post sidebar.

/* if ( $authors && count( $authors ) > 1 ) : */
    if ( is_site_admin() ) : ?>

Changing an author of a post while logged in as another wasn't a problem I wanted to listen to down the road.

5. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oops wpmu-functions.php has add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber');

6. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Tres cool dsader, thanks for sharing!

7. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello hello. This is great information. Question however...

Is it possible to allow users to comment to posts in different "community" blogs on the same system? I think that's the other issue encountered.

Thanks to any and all for their assist.

Cheers.

8. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Comment moderation is an option set on each blog under Dashboard-->Options-->Discussion.

To restrict comments to logged in users of the community go to Dashboard-->Options-->General and check the "Membership: Users must be registered and logged in to comment". In WPMU this means registration in the entire site. You do not need to add users to a blog to allow them to comment, check the membership flag, done. Joe Schmoes can't comment, only your site bloggers can.

To me, it seems the default behaviour of wpmu will do what you need with comment permissions. No code needed.

9. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello, everyone again. I apologize for being so persistent but I don't think I'm explaining myself well. A thousand apologies. And thanks to the commenters so far!!

Perhaps this picture demonstrates what I'm after:

http://www.xandria.ca/temp/wpmu.png

This site will contain a number of community blogs and many authors/users. I'd like each author, once signed up, be able to add themselves to any community blog they wish as an author.

Does that make sense?

And to lunabyte above and others, yes, I know this may take some coding. If there is anyone who's interested in coding this for compensation, please let me know. This is one area I confess to being lacking in.

Thank you for your time again.

10. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see your vision, that might be cool to figure out.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Sidebar-Add-Users

Adds a sidebar widget so Community Users can self-register as authors on a blog.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/download/1848793951_add_user.png

11. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Xandria, dsader's widget basically does what you want.

and it's quite easy to follow and it's easy to add "add me to this blog" in the footer or adminbar or whatever too.

12. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you thank you a thousand thank yous!!!!

Mr. Sader, I would very much like to converse with you briefly by e-mail if I may. Would you, if so inclined, please send me an e-mail to: xandria[at]xandria.ca ?

Thank you again. You're all fabulous.

13. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've noticed one issue with dsader's amazing sidebar widget: Once the plugin is activated, the Visual editor for writing Posts and Pages vanishes (http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5939&page&replies=4). Is there any way this can be fixed? Thanks.

14. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bummer, hmm, in testing again I repeatedly switched users and tried to reproduce the misbehaving buttons you describe but couldn't. Each user may have Rich Text enabled or disabled in profile but the Rich Text Editor appears when it should and quicktags as expected for me. Safari, Camino, Firefox, all OK. Can't(won't) test IE.

15. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's intermittent. As a beta tester for a leading software company, I know what a pain it is to try and provide a method for reproducing the symptoms. Here's what I do know:

Browser: Firefox, rich text not disabled in WP.

Situation: Created a blog, made it private, installed the Sidebar Author Registration Plugin, Placed the Widget in the sidebar.

All seems to work well, except that the icons on the Visual and Code Editor bar above the Write Text Window are gone (when creating a new post or page). I go to the Plugins, Deactivate the Plugin, initiate the Writing of a new post/page and there are the icons. I close the new post/page (with or without save makes no difference). I return to the Plugins, Activate the plugin and the icons are back.

However, today, they went on me again in one "community". I performed the fix as above and it's happy again. It's very strange.

The vanishing icons only happens to some people (I'm one of them and as an admin, this is good so I know when it's happening). Oh, and this also is true for IE.

It's not critical, but it's odd behaviour. If you've any thoughts...

Thanks again. The plugin's a blessing!

16. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, here's what you can try as I can't get the buttons to vanish.

There are only two functions in the plugin. The Widget, which is a standard widget_init as far as I can tell, and the sidebar_add_user function. Which does nothing if you aren;t anywhere near the front page, or the widget admin.

Let's suspect it is the widget code that has some furball somewhere first.

Comment out the add_action line near the end of the code and That'll remove the widget from doing anything in the backend. Plugin must be in the mu-plugins folder for this next part to work.

Paste sidebar_add_user(); directly into a template sidebar (outside the register sidebars code, of course).

If buttons continue to vanish, though, we'll need to pick apart the sidebar_add_user function.

17. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll try that, thank you so much.

18. TechSynthesis
    Posted 16 years ago #

I tried to use this. If I put it in the mu-plugins folder, it did not show up under Plugins menu. If I put it in the plugins folder it shows up in the Plugins menu and I can activate it but nothing seems to happen on the web page itself.

Any pointers? I will keep knocking around.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"If I put it in the mu-plugins folder, it did not show up under Plugins menu. "

And it won't. If it's in the mu-plugins folder it gets run automatically and thus cannot be shut off until you move it.

There's a few plugins talked about in this thread. If you mean the widget one, look for it to appear in the sidebar widgets are.

20. TechSynthesis
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you so much for clarifying things. I am new to Wordpress. Very impressed with the features but I just got myself turned around a bit. All is working now. I even modified the Add Users Widget to get it to do exactly what I wanted.

21. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

good, release it! :-)

22. PBO
    Posted 15 years ago #

this is what I have been looking for. I tagged this as group, common, public

23. PBO
    Posted 15 years ago #

blicki says "Error! Options page not found."

About this Topic