The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I can down any host? (16 posts)

1. Parado
    Posted 16 years ago #

Open firefox ang press F5 and wait ~ 30-40 sec. in 99% WPMU services DB - Down.

Blogates.com, Bloggles.info - Down.
    A thounsands mistake is Patrick fault.
    Please try to revisit after few seconds.
    ----------------------------------

6toe.com
    nternal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@6toe.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.37 Server at http://www.6toe.com Port 80

--------------------

something.ie/kerry

Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at rmysql1.something.ie. This could mean your host's database server is down.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    * Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

--------------

and MUCH MORE!!!

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at mysql15.ixwebhosting.com. This could mean your host's database server is down.

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

any ... LOL Bravo!

2. Parado
    Posted 16 years ago #

byjournal.com
    byjournal.com/woody/

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

3. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have no clue as your point or question here. Maybe if you were to explain what you're trying to say here....

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think he is saying that on those sites holding down F5 (refresh/reload) in Firefox basically does a DOS attack on the site.

5. BillDexter
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, try holding F5 on Yahoo - same result, why would you hold the F5 key anyway? Bored?

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Must be... lol

7. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Got one of those birds with the red water in it's body.

Gotta admit though that most foilks here with more advanced, older sites have the database on a second (or more) box. usually those errors aren't going to happen.

8. Parado
    Posted 16 years ago #

This means that WP puts great pressure on the database. You must do a better caching.

If you want to check, give the URL of your service. It will be Down. Only one service was able to resist and worked without problems WP.com

Because they use very powerful cluster system.

9. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry - I must do better caching?

If I get into my car and put my foot to the floor I get up to about 160mph then the engine red lines and cuts back.. do I complain to the manufacturer and say "you must put in a better engine"?

If I push something to its limit its going to "fail". So you've found a potential limitation in WP, or is it in the Apache Server, or in the MySQL DB? The errors you've shown indicate that it was MySQL that maxed out or apache exhausted its processes/memory.

Or are you suggesting that we should configure Apache to limit the number of calls it can handle in a second?

Also is posting on here that you've purposely carried out DOS attacks on other peoples sites a clever thing to do?

10. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Steve, I'm not sure if you're asking this but I'm going to follow up on your post since it's handy. (Actually I just realized that Parado is the OP but I'm not going back to rewrite this.)

Sorry - I must do better caching?

Depends. What are you doing for caching currently? We just discussed yesterday the object cache and how to turn it on. Please do a search for 'object cache' to review the thread. At the very least, you should be doing that.

If I get into my car and put my foot to the floor I get up to about 160mph then the engine red lines and cuts back.. do I complain to the manufacturer and say "you must put in a better engine"?

No, as you're pushing the vehicle beyond what it was designed to do. This also applies to wpmu as it's not designed for a regular hosting account and I'll bet the OP has their install within one. A mu install with a thousand blogs in it is the same as a thousand individual hosting accounts. Just because all those 1k blogs use the same files, it still means you're putting the same stress on the box as those 1k accounts.

Most of the advanced users here with larger setups have their installs on multiple boxes. That and they've fiddle with their mysql and apache settings.

All you've done is found a site that hasn't done so.

To be honest, all sites, not just wpmu ones will give you that error after a while. That's a MYSQL error, not a wordpress one.

11. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

DrMike - no problems.

In my post I was basically saying exactly what you said - if you push something beyond its design limits it will start to "fail"

Parado would seem to be suggesting that this is a problem, specifically that is is problem with WPMU when it obviously isn't

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

If anything, would this not be a "problem" with the browser, and allowing such a repeated motion of that key?

But, far from MU's fault if it isn't given the right tools (read as environment) to be successful.

13. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

The other issue would be of course any box that's setup correctly would have firewalled the IP address by that time too.

I think we have a limit of 25 connections per IP address per second before ours kicks in. That way the browser can pull images as well without getting caught by the firewall.

14. byjournal
    Posted 16 years ago #

" I think we have a limit of 25 connections per IP address per second before ours kicks in "

i think i will do this :)

2parado
    maybe simply this message show only one time? my users didn't say me about this... usually they even phone me ))) it is not a serious problem - db problems longs is one or maximum two seconds as i think... but let's i do that drmike said )

15. divrom
    Posted 16 years ago #

'Most of the advanced users here with larger setups have their installs on multiple boxes.'

What do you mean by this, Mike?

Multiple databases involved? Or multiple servers?

16. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Both.

About this Topic