The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Please. . .save me from Drupal. . . (8 posts)

1. politicaldiner
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm running Drupal and wanted to go to WordpressMU instead, as Wordpress, as a rule, is much more intuitive. . .however, I'm about to drop my ambition to move to WPMU altogether because I've got no way to get users registered. . .no place on front page to register for new account. . .going to wp-signup.php allows the information to be entered, but an email NEVER gets sent. . .I'd love to make the move, but I'm not about to put myself behind the 8-ball by going to a solution that requires so much of my intervention to do what Drupal (or even just standard Wordpress) does by default. . .any help, folks? Thanks in advance.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there anything in your email server logs?

People are willing to help but its hard to help when we don't know anything about your setup. Shared Hosting? Dedicated Hosting? Your Own server? SMTP or SMTP-auth?. Even a URL might help

3. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

you need to do a complete reinstall and do some serious searching. all those things can be added. i converted from Joomla. i feel your pain.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, they need to check the mail server's error logs first before they do anything.

5. politicaldiner
    Posted 16 years ago #

DrMike. . .would love to do so. . .but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking. . .I don't find anyplace that I can configure email setup or to view the logs. . .is this something that I should be looking for on my host's servers? Of is the email log somewhere within WPMU? I tried an SMTP plugin and filled in the blanks, but it didn't seem to work. . .Thanks. . .I just wanna' get it working. . .

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think we need more information on your host setup - is it dedicated, shared, Virtual?

Is the mail server configured for outgoing mail? You may need to talk to your host to get server name and other configuration items if you are sharing a mailhost.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Your email issues are definitely a host problem, not a MU issue.

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Best bet would be for you to get with your host and ask them where the log files are. Every host is different with what software they run and we can't help you with those kinds of questions. That's why you pay them anyway. :)

Do note though that you should know where things like log files are already. Please take a second and read the first paragraph of the readme.txt file included with your download. It's there for a reason and you may want to consider what you're getting yourself into. A question you may want to ask yourself is do you think you could run this site and provide for your clients. That's what you're doing when you run wpmu.

Good luck,
    -drmike

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by politicaldiner
  • Latest reply from drmike