The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Mimicing the LiveJournal Friends Page: Possible? (5 posts)

1. Xandria
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is it possible to create a "friends" page that is similar to the same feature in LiveJournal?

Imagine a tab or page that displays the blog posts of your friends (from your Friends list plugin) in chronological order from most recent backwards.

From what I understand, each "called" post is copied into the database cache of the calling blog (i.e. AuthorA.blog.com copies the five most recent posts from AuthorB.blog.com, stores them in AuthorA's database, and then posts them to AuthorA's friends page). So if you've got one person who's friended by 100 people, every time that person makes a post, 100 copies of it are made. Now that's resource hogging. But... it would be nice.

Thoughts, possibilities... Bueller?

Thanks again for all your help, everyone!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

My idea was by adding a friend., it actually displayed hte feed of that blog on the friend's page. Only thing saved to the db was the feed address.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

The premium package of wpmudev.org has somethign like this I believe. I haven't looked at it yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Pretty much anything's possible. It's just a matter of getting it coded. May want to try contacting some of those consultants listed on the automattic.com website and see what they would charge for something like this if you don't feel comfortable with programming it yourself. You've got a good writeup there on the description.

Good luck,
    -drmike

4. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I show the latest blogposts from the blogs on your friends-list on the Dashboard in the administration panel.

My involvement with above storing is not indicated. I walk through the friends-list, walk through the blogs of each person on the friends list and get their latest post, then I sort it all so you get a list with all friends latest posts sorted by date, then I show a nice list of the latest blogposts posted by your friends.

So yes, it really is possible.

5. divrom
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic