The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Simple Tagging plugin problem (34 posts)

1. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello there, im trying to make Site Wide tags work on my website and its almost done, but the only problem remains - when i click a tag on the website, it doesnt show any list of posts for that tag but redirects me to the signup page.

Has anyone solved this yet? (im using sub-directories)

I would appreciate any help, tnx.

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) Which site wide tag solutions are you using? (There's three of them that's been discussed here previously)

2) How about a link please so we can see what is occuring? No offence but you don;t even tell us what the link that you're clicking on looks like.

3. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, sorry, im using Site Wide Tags plugin (http://daankortenbach.nl/blog/webontwikkelaar/wpmu-site-wide-tags-solution/) with Simple Tagging.

the tags link when i click it looks like: domain.com/tags/technology (for example), but when i click it, it redirects me to the signup page offering to get domain.com/tags Blog...

cant provide a link to the website currently, but maybe someone knows how to overcome this, thats probably a problem of htaccess or smth like that... ?

4. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

:( noone helps...

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've got simple tagging installed but as I'd also already got a nice cross blog search in place I simply combined the two to give me a consistent look for any sort of search.

I'm running in subdirectory mode

6. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

hm...and?

7. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

well it all works fine but I'm not using the /tag/ structure (Possibly because it wasn't working and I moved it all over to the wp-search code - but it was something I did quite a while back and I've been doing a lot of other things since)

8. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

guys, i still dont get it :( can someone pls explain to me step by step how to use this (http://daankortenbach.nl/blog/webontwikkelaar/wpmu-site-wide-tags-solution/) WP MU Site Wide tags...pllsss.

Here`s what i do:
    1) install Simple Tagging plugin
    2) install Site Wide Tags and then include <?php blah blah ?> into my template

Looks like im doing everything right, but when a tag is clicked i still get to signup page...

Why im writing this here because noone responds to me on the main website and cause im sure someone must have this solution working, huh?

cheers.

9. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, well, noone will help you if you cant help yourself...finally made it!

3rd step was to put a 404.php page into my theme directory with the dmk_show_taglist() function...

so easy and noone reponded...shame on you ;)

10. dbUNIT16
    Posted 16 years ago #

So, once the plug-in is installed, each user must install the plug-in themselves in order to be able to tag their posts?

I am also having the error where when clicked from the main page it takes me to sign up for a blog. Please help! Thanks!

11. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes blog owners have to manually enable the feature that allows them to tag posts.

12. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

its a bit tricky and the documentation is poor...only trial and error method helps...

here's what i did and what worked (im on SUBDIRECTORIES !!, on subdomains you may not have to do all this as you may not have the same problems) :

1)First of all we download Simple Tagging plugin from here: http://trac.herewithme.fr/project/simpletagging/wiki/Download

I used latest version 1.6.8.1 and it works. So we download it, unzip and copy the "simple-tagging" folder into our "mu-plugins" folder on the webserver.

2) Now, while WP MU does not recognize plugins in Subdirectories of "mu-plugins", we have to make a new file called "stp.php" and put only one line of code in it:

<?php include('simple-tagging/simpletagging.php'); ?>

Then we upload this "stp.php" into "mu-plugins" directory. This step will allow WP MU to recognize the plugin from the subdirectory which will enable the Simple-Tagging plugin for ALL users, and they wont have to activate plugin manually.

3) So the Simple-Tagging plugin should now be working already. You will see the "STP: MU Options" tab under the "Site Admin" tab in the control panel and a separate "Tags" tab.

Now you should already have a fully working tagging system on a per-blog basis. Users will be able to add tags to their posts and if you place this function: <?php STP_Tagcloud(); ?> in one of your template files (f.ex. "index.php"), you will be able to show tags of the current blog.

I've found that to show tags for the MAIN blog (domain.com), you have to change tags search base in "Tags/General Options" tab to: blog/tags So when a tag is clicked on the Main Blog, the url to the tag will be: domain.com/blog/tags/whatever_the_tag_is and in other blogs: domain.com/blog_name/tags/whatever_the_tag_is. So we are done now with the tags for a per-blog basis.

>>>>>> Now the 2nd part: installing "Danalog's WPMU Site Wide Tags" which will allow us to show a Site-Wide Tag cloud.

4) Download and unzip the plugin to your computer from http://code.danalog.nl/danalog-wpmu-site-wide-tags.txt

5) Now the tricky bit - explanation later, just follow the instructions :) Open the file you downloaded "danalog-wpmu-site-wide-tags.txt" in any text editor.

Change line 37 to this: $domain = "YOURDOMAIN.com"; where YOURDOMAIN is your domain :)
    On line 44 make sure you have this: $tag_depth = '2';

Line 106 change this:

<a href='http://YOURDOMAIN.com/tags/$key_url'

into this:

<a href='http://YOURDOMAIN.com/tags/tags/$key_url'

where YOURDOMAIN is again your domain :)

6) That's it, change the extension of the file to .php and upload to your "mu-plugins" folder.

7) Place this function: <?php dmk_show_tagcloud(); ?>

in one of your template files (f.ex. index.php) where you want to show the site-wide tags cloud.

8) Next, create a new blog "TAGS" under "domain.com/tags".

9) Create a file called "404.php" on your computer and place the following function into this file:

<?php dmk_show_taglist(); ?>

10) Now upload this "404.php" into "/wp-content/themes/THEME_YOU_ARE_USING" for your site.

ANNDDDD here you go! You have a working Site-WIde Tag solution for your website.
    Now you can show tags on a per-blog basis as well as Site-Wide tag cloud. If something doesnt work - first decide if this is the first plugin problem or the second plugin problem and then try the trial and error methor. Also all questions welcome. Im not a WPMU guru, but what i did works and i want to help others.

13. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

best of luck to all of you :)

14. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

You shouldn't have to create a blog called tags - its something to do with WP deciding that tags is a new blog name when its not. You should find that blogname/blog/tags works.

Pity we can't get rid of the /blog/ bit which is only needed for the base blog install

15. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've asked before, but has anyone managed to get categories to show up in the site wide tagcloud? They show up if I use STP_tagcloud()(the local blogs tagcloud), but when I use dmk_show_tagcloud(), then there aren't any categories. Is this because of the way Site-Wide Tagging works, or have I missed something in the configuration. I am currently testing this on 1.2.3 with subdomains. Thanks.

16. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

i created blog "tags" because i didnt want Simple Tagging to overlap Site-Wide-tagging.

because if Simple Tagging uses domain.com/blog/tags/actual_tag

and site-wide tags use the same structure, one of them will not work

17. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

True

18. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

The point is not that I want to use both, but Site-Wide-Tagging makes its tagcloud using the Simple Tagging plugin. I have some students from when each student had their own WP install without tagging, they have invested time in setting up their blogs with categories. Now that we have moved to WPMU, I would like to use tags and categories in the tagcloud.

Simple Tagging includes the categories in its tagcloud, if this is possible, then since Site-Wide Tagging is taking its "feed" from Simple Tagging, can it be made to include categories in its tagcloud. Using the Simple Tagging cloud was for test purposes and to help explain the situation.

So the question remains, can Site-Wide be made to include categories in its tagcloud?

19. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you know?: beta versions of STP have MU support.

20. nsetiono
    Posted 16 years ago #

i had downloading the last ST which is 1.6.8.1 then im uploading the folder to my site but when i try to activate it via plugins it got a fatal error then i try to move it to mu-plugins directory

when i try to access my site admin it show the error like this

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /usr/home/nicolas/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/simple-tagging/simpletagging.mu.php on line 643

how to fix the error ?

21. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

nsetiono, What version of wpmu are you working with? Did you see this page?
    http://trac.herewithme.fr/project/simpletagging/wiki/SimpleTagging%20and%20WordPresss%20Mu

Simple Tagging works with wpmu, but does not seem to do site-wide tagging without Danalog's Site-Wide tags plugin. It will include previous posts, if (for every blog) one uses the /Tags/Import Tags/Convert Categories to Tags

Any posts which are put into categories after this import will not appear in the site-wide cloud unless categories are imported again. This seems like a partial solution.

Anyone else

22. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have been working around with STP 1.6.8.1 and completely missed the setup menu in site admin. Seems this version uses a different function call for site wide tagclouds and blog specific tagclouds. Looks like with only a little bit of work this will be an excellent solution. Seems that difference might be the site-wide function calls just add Site to the function name (a very preliminary guess).

Will get back when I have learned a bit more.

23. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

mrjcleaver thanks for the tip on Simple Tagging. I looked at it a bit and it is an easy solution to setup. I'm am not saying this is the definitive solution, but it was quick and easy, and works well enough for what I want.

This is for STP 1.6.8.1 and WPMU 1.2.4

In the downloaded file are templates for regular WP and WPMU. The WPMU template (pagetemplate.mu.simpletagging.php) is the default named tag display page, and needs to be added to the theme that will be using site-wide tags. It is a template, and so may not give a clean page with all themes (you may have to edit it).

Set up Simple Tagging with the stp.php file in the mu-plugins folder as mentioned in the STP documentation for MU. 1.8.8.1 now includes a new submenu in the Site Admin. Edit the settings (there aren't as many options as the regular STP settings in the Tags menu, but this is actively maintained so I expect there will be soon). Remember to update Permalinks. Then to call the tagcloud, add the following to where you want the site-wide tagcloud to be displayed:
    <?php STP_displaySiteTagCloud(); ?>

If you want to get old entries in categories into the site-wide tagcloud you'll have to import categories in the /Tags/Import Tags of each blog. This will only add add existing tags, anything added after is still a category and this plugin does not yet include categories in the site-wide tagcloud.

If you want, a WPMU blog can have a regular tagcloud (I think a blog could have both a normal blog STP tagcloud and a site-wide tagcloud -although I don't know why anyone would want both and I haven't tested it yet) by calling the usual:
    <?php STP_tagcloud () ?>
    I included the template files for regular WP in the blog setup for a blog only tagcloud.

24. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

great, will try today and reply, tnx jalien.

25. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

strangely <?php STP_displaySiteTagCloud(); ?> does not display tags :(

Says: No tags were found that match the criteria given.

While <?php dmk_show_tagcloud(); ?> shows tags and <?php STP_Tagcloud(); ?> works as well...

26. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

This means that it is partly working. It should at least pick up the same tags as STP_Tagcloud though.

I'm still playing with this myself. Did you save the options in the Site Admin/STP:MU Options? How about updating the Permalinks (this shouldn't make a difference except to view the results though). Did you put the template file in the theme folder you are using (yes, or you wouldn't get the "No tags found ..." message)?

I'll try and go through the steps again on my own and see what I find.a

27. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

strange, but it still doesnt work :) options in stp:mu options saved, permalinks updated many times.

tags search base for STP:MU - site-tags and for normal STP: blog/tags

template file in theme directory (though deleting it does not have any impact)

28. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

jalien, any progress so far? does it work for you?

29. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry for not getting back, schools starting up.

It works for me. I'm using subdomains, maybe this has something to do with your problem as you said earlier that you were using subdirectories. There is a different path to the Site-Wide tagging: /site-tags/actual_tag rather than /tags/actual_tag so maybe this is something you need to look at. This also means you can use both site-wide or blog specific tagclouds if desired. I plan on using the site-wide cloud on the main blog and allowing some students to put site specific tagclouds on their own blog.

I did initially use the Simple Tagging Widget to get my tagcloud to show up in the sidebar. Changed STP_tagcloud() to STP_displaySiteTagCloud() near the end of the plugin (it occurs two times). Later after everything was working I hard coded it into the main blog sidebar theme.

30. maka1
    Posted 16 years ago #

STP_displaySiteTagCloud() working great with subdirs too! :) just had to reinstall wpmu to make it work

About this Topic