The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to remove "site admin" as the admin for a given blog? (6 posts)

1. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone know how I can remove the site "admin" as the admin for a given blog?

I want to promote someone else as the admin of that blog.

Problem is, it does not give me that option. Removing admin is not selectable.

Thanks, M.

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm lost. Are we removing a Site Admin for the entire wpmu install or a Blog Admin for a single blog?

And where specificly are you looking?

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

> Are we removing a Site Admin for the entire wpmu install or a Blog Admin for a single blog?

Sorry, removing a Blog admin for a single blog. I created the blog when logged in as site admin and I want to reassign the blog to the blog's real owner. I can add the new blog owner as an admin of the blog, but I can't see how to remove the site admin as the primary owner. This matters because I show the profile of the blog owner, and all blogs now appear as belonging to site owner.

I'm looking at wp-admin/users.php, where I select the 'admin' user to demote them from 'Administrator' to 'Editor'. I get the error: "The current user's role must have user editing capabilities."

I'm logged in as Site Administrator. As such I can see the whole site without the need for explicit capabilities on a particular blog. I can't kick myself off this user's blog and WPMU shows that I own all the blogs!

Thanks,
    Martin.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Try Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Blogs -> Edit the blog in question -> There's a list of assigned users along the right hand side.

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Mike. Y, thanks, I tried that too.

wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php?action=editblog&id=24 shows the users on the right hand side

Current Users

User	   Role	         Password	Remove
    admin	   N/A	         N/A	        N/A	    Edit
    blogowner  Administrator _______        (tickbox)   Edit

The dialog shows N/A instead of a selection box for the role of 'admin', the site administrator. So while I can change the role of "blogowner" using this page I have the same issue as before that I can't change the rold of 'admin'.

Thanks, Martin.

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

The answer is go to user_meta and delete the lines for the administrator, e.g. in my case:

173 1 wp_24_capabilities a:1:{s:6:"editor";b:1;} 174 1 wp_24_user_level 10

Actually my original diagnosis turned out to be wrong and this didn't solve my problem, but it might be useful to someone else.

Thanks to Donncha for pointing out the table I should look at.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mrjcleaver
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver