The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding users in control panel (6 posts)

1. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm working on migrating my existing WP install to WPMU. It looks like I'm going to have to (or at least it would be easiest) recreate the users manually. Only problem is when I'm logged in as an admin, there is no option to create a new user -- only to add an existing user from another blog. But everything I've read said there should be an "Add user" button. Whats up? :(

2. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alright, I'm an idiot, I found the "Site Admin" tab. Now, I'm trying to import my old posts and map them to the correct author, but its setting the author to whatever account I'm logged in with at the time instead. Is this a known issue?

3. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

It sounds like you are trying to import one WP blog to many WPMU blogs. WPMU is a multi-blog system, with one central administration. You can import a blog to a WPMU blog and map the users to other users on "that" blog, but not to users on other blogs (at least not with the built in tools). So I guess it is a know issue.

4. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alright, here's what I did.

1) I exported my old blog, which had posts by Jared and Dallas (about 50/50).
    2) I installed WPMU and created ONE blog.
    3) I created two users, Jared and Dallas, and made them both admins of that one blog.
    4) I imported the old blog in to the new WPMU blog and assigned Jared's posts to Jared and assigned Dallas's posts to Dallas on the map author page.
    5) I went to the index to see that ALL posts now listed Jared as the author.

So yeah, it sure looks like "You can import a blog to a WPMU blog and map the users to other users on "that" blog", but it's not working.

5. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

I read in an old forum that you should upgrade the WP blog to the most recent version before exporting it.

I must admit that when I did my exports I only had one author per blog, so I assumed, as you did that it "looks like" it is possible. I also didn't update, and lost pages, but at the time it was something that I could live with.

Sorry I can't be more help. Any other solution I can think of would be just manually editing the database or reassigning ownership after the import.

6. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, looks like I'll just have to change the authors manually. Not such a big deal as we only have about 40 posts right now. Thanks!

About this Topic