The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog ids with dots show no css (4 posts)

1. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm having an unusual problem with css and blogs with dots. For example, it happens if I have a blog url like this:
    http://www.example.com/wpmu/test.user/

The blog loads fine, but all I see is a white page with text all over. None of the css is getting loaded. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm migrating from a blog platform where each user matches the blog id (ie: test.user) and we allow dots in the username so this affects many blogs.

Edit:
    After further investigation the following css url is loaded:
    http://www.example.com/wpmu/test.user/wp-content/themes/default/style.css

Unfortunately if I browse to that url I do not get the css, but the standard 404 blog page. On any blog without a dot it works properly. The presence of the dot in "test.user" is definitely screwing it up somehow.

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

An actual link would be helpful so we can see what is occuring. We need to see why the CSS is not loading and can't do that without actually seeing the html.

3. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Unfortunately this system's on an internal network so I can't really show you. I can describe the problem though, and hopefully it's reproducible.

All of the blog content is there but when I go to the css url I don't get any css, instead I get a blog page with a big fat "Error 404 - Not Found". After a little trial and error there's a 100% match that all blogs containing dots show the same behavior while none without dots have the problem.

4. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

After thinking it over some more my mind wandered to the .htaccess file. I noticed that a dot is not included in the valid character list, so I added it and it works.

RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]

To:

RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-\.]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-\.]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]

If that data is initially pulled from htaccess.dist I can make a ticket and submit a patch.

About this Topic