The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

BuddyPress - Creating a Social Network on MU (37 posts)

1. apeatling
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey everyone,

I recently completed a social network project called ChickSpeak (http://www.chickspeak.com).

I've been asked by lots of people if I would be making the plugins available to the community. As the project was under contract I can't release the code I wrote for that site, but I am writing a new generic version.

You can check in on how things are going at: http://www.buddypress.com

I'm hoping to completely transform Wordpress MU using a suite of plugins for each component. It will be free to download and use under GPL.

Cheers!
    Andy

2. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Seems like an excellent project, thanks. Especially a good album plugin will improve WPMU a lot.
    Maybe also think about sharing member dbases with external applications like popular forum- and wikisoftware.

Cheers, Bike

3. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

looking forward to this. when do you expect your first release ?

4. byjournal
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'm interested in 'messaging feature' ) but i like others too )
    about shop - we have wp-commerce plugin, that you can use as "shop" part

5. nathanrdotca
    Posted 16 years ago #

Now that is pretty cool. Too bad there's no "release notification" type mailing list or I'd sign up.

6. apeatling
    Posted 16 years ago #

quenting: I don't have a particular release date, I'm just working on it as much as I can. My client work has to come first, but donations are helping me book more time during the day to work on it.

Bike: Thanks for the suggestions, I will likely try and support an easy solution for BBPress support.

byjournal: I'm not intending on including e-commerce as a core component, but this is Wordpress, so plugins like wp-commerce should still work hopefully.

7. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andy, I am a frequent visitor to your site, and actually tried using Durable on WPMU but it crapped out with an error.

I'm really happy to see you lending your talents to the WPMU effort. Open Source software is definitely where the party's at.

Can you give us an idea of the types of features/plugins you plan to integrate?

8. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Very very cool :)

9. apeatling
    Posted 16 years ago #

suleiman: Glad you had a chance to try out Durable, yeh, there is no doubt it would crap out on WPMU because of folder names and file locations.

You can check out a reasonably complete list of core functionality, each component will be a WPMU plugin.

10. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

wow..

11. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is interesting. I wanted some of these features but I've had second thoughts about the desirability of some of these features.

I would like to attract a far higher calibre of user than the average myspacer/facebooker etc.

I would like users who create high quality content.

You've got to ask yourself, does what you're adding help your users create more high quality PUBLIC content?

That's the question. The beauty of Mu is that it generally brings in a much higher calibre of user than other systems like myspace and facebook.

Private messages and Chatter Box Walls could bring in the user junk content people.

12. chowanec
    Posted 16 years ago #

huge fan, can't wait. :)

13. stokast
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is really exciting.

I've been wanting to set up a local music network and have been really hesitant to venture far from the warm glow of Wordpress -- so this looks almost perfect.

Can't wait to hear when you're ready for testing. Great work Andy!

14. djsteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any word on this project?
    The .com just says stay tuned -

I've attempted a sign up at the chicspeak to see the features, but it requires a edu and I don't have one of those.

Would love to see what everyone else is doing in this area, similar things have been on my drawing board for a year now.

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

buddypress has been handed to the community, more details here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=7448&page&replies=15

16. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

With all due respect to the forum and to this thread, I can't find how to contact in the official board for a question, and when I google my error I can't find any solutions, anybody has a solution for the following error line, just after installation please?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function bp_is_blog() in /home/doktoras/public_html/bibicos/wp-content/themes/default/header.php on line 16

Kindest Regards
    Doktoras
    (a very hopeless noob)

17. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well the error is obviously saying that a buddypress function is undefined, meaning the buddypress files are not getting included perhaps. check you've installed it right, then again - it is in development.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

19. myceo
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can anyone help me resolve this error
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function bp_is_blog() in /home/myceousa/public_html/blog/wp-content/themes/default/header.php on line 16

20. jpiccolo
    Posted 15 years ago #

You may have to recheck your buddypress installation. I had the same problem. First I had to enable the Plugins Option. Then, I copied the buddypress plugin (bp-core and bp-core.php) to the mu-plugins folder. I was thrown off at first because the core files are deep in the directory of the unzip buddypress core file.

I hope this helps you out.

21. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can someone tell me where to find the current official site of these plugins? thnx.

22. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

23. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Umm ... thanks. I was under the impression the whole thing was moved to somewhere on Automattic.

Here's my thing. I would love to integrate the friends, the private messaging, the groups. But all of my members are bloggers who want to run regular blogs and pick their own themes.

In other words, I want to integrate social networking features into a standard WPMu site. I don't want to turn my WPMu site into a social networking site.

Can I pick and chose what plugins up upload and skip the themes?

Some direction needed here.

Thanks in advance ...

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, you can.

There's the "core" plugin, and the features are all add-ons. Some of which aren't finished yet, like the groups.

25. konus
    Posted 15 years ago #

it's the actual trunk (today: revision 307) the same used in http://testdrivewpmu.com ??

26. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

All the details (that there are) for installation and documentation etc are on:

http://trac.buddypress.org/wiki/installing-buddypress

and

http://codex.buddypress.org/faqs/

Which is linked to from the bottom of http://buddypress.org

The testdrivewpmu.org site is updated regularly, but I'n not privy to how often. It might be worth following the Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/buddypressdev/) as there seems to be a post there when things are copied across.

27. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Today's trunk hasn't been rolled into testdrivewpmu yet. When it does, Andy usually says on the twitter feed or the mailing list.

28. konus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, I'm just want to see in local what I see on line :-)

29. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Get whatever BP revision it was from a week or two back, plus the latest MU download.

30. konus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah... I'm following the project for a while... but the last week I was having some issues... so, I just back to the "stable" version of the both. Sad!

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by apeatling
  • Latest reply from azizpoonawalla