The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Google result page (11 posts)

1. bonecollector
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate a Google Custom Search into my Wordpress blog. I've done the easy part (using the Google code snippets and a "manual" HTML file as the result page to hold the results), but now I need to tweak the result page so that it looks like the rest of the site.

I tried to copy some code from the Wordpress templates (like the header and the footer) but I soon got lost.

What would be the best approach for this? Any pointers? I'm not afraid of little PHP coding.

Thanks for any help...

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I gotta admit that I just threw in the same colors out of CSS in the Google result page and left it like that.

3. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

4. bonecollector
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the hints. Much appreciated. I'm confused with step (4):

4. Now create a new page in your wordpress admin and call it ‘Search Results’ on the right hand side where it says page templates select your new template ‘googlecoopresults.php’ then click save.

When I create a new page in Wordpress there's nothing on the right side that says "page templates". I go to Manage -> Pages and create a new page there...

I'm on WP 2.2.2 and also rather new to WP... Excuse my ignorance if I miss the bleeding obvious.

5. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

There should be 8 tabs under Write Page: Discussion, Page Status, Page Password, Page Parent, Page Template, Page Slug, Page Author, and Page Order.

Try going to Write > Write Page.

6. bonecollector
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm, no... the Page Template tab is missing with my installation.

Any clues to what's wrong?

Is there a setting I'm not aware of?

7. bonecollector
    Posted 16 years ago #

Allright... error on my site. I figured it out and also gained some insight on the working of WP templating system.

I now got an extremely cool looking result page using the theme of my blog!

Thank you all very much for the help!

8. paddelboot
    Posted 16 years ago #

The "Page template" tag is missing here too. Any hint what went wrong in your installation?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

If there isn't a template file names page.php in the theme, or one customized to suit your needs, then you won't see that option.

This explains it all:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#What_Template_is_used_to_Display_a_Particular_Page.

10. paddelboot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the help.

11. PBO
    Posted 15 years ago #

SO there is no plug in for this?

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by bonecollector
  • Latest reply from PBO