The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Page not found (9 posts)

1. Enniob
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just installed the WPMU on my server (win 2003 with PHP5 and IIS) everything is working, but when I try to go to a blog I get a page not found. How can I fix that?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

As WMPU is designed to work with Apache you will find problems with getting support with IIS.

Have you installed what ever is needed with IIS to replicate the functionality of mod_rewrite?

3. Enniob
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can I install apache on IIS and that will solve the problem?

Becasue I saw that they have a mod_rewrite for IIS but you have to pay, and some people were saying that it does not work.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Can I install apache on IIS and that will solve the problem?"

You're kidding, right?

Apache replaces IIS.

Did you read the readme file?
    Especially the following part?

"If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst."

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but MU is not for novice web users to install and maintain. If you are currently lacking the experience with a basic web server installl/config, you may wish to expand your fundamental knowledge in this area before diving into server level software like MU.

5. ams3521
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi i hope you dont mind me jumping in here. Ive just installed WPMU on servage (apache) ive just made the wildcard thingy work and have assurances from Servage that everything is a o k. Im still getting a page not found error. Does it take a while for the wildcard thing to come into play?

I can make new blogs etc just not access them. Im sure your all sick of folks like me asking the same questions. Is there anything i'm missing here?

thanks

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Both wildcards are in place?

- 1 in apache's configuration file.

- 1 in your DNS.

Although, it may take up to 72 hours for the DNS one to propagate.

7. ams3521
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks Lunabyte. I'll go ask Servage about this and get back to you. i just want to get going. Great software. weird that i gave up wordpress a year ago to get into Joomla and now with WPMU im back on old territory again. I'll go see about that apache config. thanks

8. ams3521
    Posted 16 years ago #

No reply from them as yet but this is what they said last time-

[quote}Hello Andrew,

As per the wildcard dns http://kompressaur.blogs.daabl.com/ is already working.

Kindly check it for yourself too.

Modrewrite is already installed in the server. You can write the directives in the .htaccess file and then will work {/quote}

Now when you click that new blog link it just takes me to the frontpage of my site. I hate posting up my site address as guaranteed some sod will see it and think 'ah hah noob' and go and hack me (again :() I know you guys are sick of listening to us bleating noobs who can't follow simple instructions. I think ive done everything right so far but still to no avail. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

your depressingly

komp

9. ams3521
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can write the directives in the .htaccess file and then will work

mmmmm is that what i need to do poss? add something to the .htaccess file? I bet you ive been told to do that 6 times already and i haven't. anyone?

About this Topic