The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog Upload Space and Max File Size Working...but not really... (16 posts)

1. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

On my Mu site (1.2.5a), I have the Blog Upload Space set to 5mb and the Max File Size set to 1mb. This "seems" to work as expected. For example, if I try to upload a 6mb file, my site goes through the upload process, and I get an error message saying I have exceeded my limit and need to delete some files...the 6mb file is not shown when I browse all files, indicating it wasn't uploaded. However, when I look at the upload directory on the server, I see that, in fact, the 6mb file was uploaded.

It seems on my site that users can upload as many files (regardless of size) as they want and even though the mu interface indicates the files weren't uploaded (if the space and file size settings are exceeded), the files are actually being uploaded to the upload directory. It's like mu is not checking the file sizes until "after" the upload completes, then if the limits are exceeded, the proper error messages are displayed, the file is not shown to the user, but it is still in the upload directory.

Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing this?

Steve

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

A quick glance through the upload code would tell you if that file is deleted or not.

Can't say off the top of my head though. But if it throws an error without the file being removed, it's either by design or an oversight.

3. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't need to look at the upload code, I can see the file is uploaded and is not deleted just by looking at the blog's file directory on the server. I must not have been clear.

For example, the Blog Upload Space is set to 5mb at the site...in other words, users are limited to 5mb of storage space.

Users can upload like normal until they exceed the 5mb. After 5mb, they get the expected error message when attempting to upload a file that reads "You have used your space quota. Please delete files before uploading."

As far as the user can see, the file they tried to upload wasn't uploaded (like one would expect--nothing unusual there), but I can see in the data directory that actually the file was uploaded. So, even though this seems to be working, the files are being uploaded regardless of the settings in Blog Upload Space or Max File Size.

Steve

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then what's your point?

IF you are damn good that you don't need to look, why bother asking at all?

Exxxxxx... cuuuuseeeeeee me for just pointing out a quick glance at a file.

Sheesh.

5. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you don't get the point, then I can't help you...I'll just assume you don't have this problem Lunabyte...and, do us both a favor and don't feel obligated to respond to my posts in the future...as I've said in the past, I don't need your help and I certainly don't need your attitude.

If anyone else understands the point, you may want to check and see if your install is working the same way. It seems to be a problem on my site, but it may just be something with my particular set-up.

Steve

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

THEN SAY WHAT YOU MEAN!

You asked if anyone else had it, or what was going on, and it sounded like looking for a fix.

So, I offered up the quickest I could at the time. If ya don't like it, don't ask.

Which I'll note, my original offering is STILL very on track for this.

Hell, can you help yourself even a little bit? Are you too good to look in the code to verify it, and help diagnose your own problem?

Oh, that's right. You're and "educator", so no matter what you know it all and nobody else knows a flippin' thing. Right. Got ya.

Now, if you would like to continue to further cause problems in this thread like your others, cool. Let's go. If not, how about you OPEN YOUR EYES AND EARS and realize outside ideas can be relevant.

Checking the code to see if there is a call to even delete the file would be a great start. Which is exactly what I suggested, and spot on to begin looking at the problem.

7. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Congratulations...you spewed out several insults with only one 4-letter word this time...you're improving ;-)

Here is what I mean, just for you, in real simple words so you can understand:

I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP NOW OR EVER. SO, WHEN I POST SOMETHING IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO ME EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE ANSWER. THANK YOU!

Steve

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ah, a shouting match. Got ya...

- LOOK UP THE FIRST AMENDMENT. I CAN ANSWER YOU IF I LIKE.

- MY ORIGINAL ANSWER IS QUITE VALID, BUT YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY TOO LAZY AND WANT TO RELY ON OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT FOR YOU.

- LOOK IN THE FILE, AND HELP YOURSELF TO AT LEAST BEGIN WORKING ON IT.

- AND DID I MENTION: LOOK IN THE FILE, AND HELP YOURSELF TO AT LEAST BEGIN WORKING ON IT?

Gee, you wonder why you hardly receive responses?

Because when you do, you act all high and mighty. "Oh, look at me, I'm a teacher (or whatever you claim to be in the industry) and I know it all. All you peons don't know jack."

Others may tolerate it, but I won't. Shun me, shun them. Go ahead. Just realize that while you sit waiting for someone to fix a problem you are "too good to even try and look at". (Note, you said "I don't need to look at the upload code, I can see the file is uploaded and is not deleted just by looking at the blog's file directory on the server.")

So, you're too lazy to even start to look into your own problem? Cool. Have fun sitting and waiting, as I can't imagine anyone would actually want to help someone like you.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gee, I'm sorry. Did you not understand?

* in the best "liberal" soothing voice possible *

Gee there, Steve-O. Sorry to hear about your problems. While us poor, tired, thankless, hungry volunteers disregard feeding our families so that we can help your Royal Highness solve all his problems, could you at least pretty please look in that file and see if there is even a call that is triggered to delete that file? It may just be misbehaving, and if so, we'll ensure it receives the Royal Death Penalty.

[queue gentle music, and a relaxing spa treatment]

* end soothing "liberal voice" (and sarcasm) *

10. johndeery
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am seeing a similar problem on my installation of WP MU 1.2.4. I'm using the z-space plug-in so I can manage different size levels for different users. However, I noticed that no matter how much I delete files, the space usage never goes down, only up.

So I checked on my server and the files that are uploaded are never deleted. They are removed from the WP uploads manager, so the user thinks the items are gone, but they still exist, which is a problem because they eat up the user's space quota.

Luna, I tried to follow your suggestion by looking through the upload code but I can't really follow all of this...it goes from the form, to some javascript, and I lose it there, so I'm not sure where the actual deletion is supposed to occur. I'm going to keep searching, but if anyone has a suggestion as to where to look, or how to solve the problem, that would be great.

Also, my WP directory does have proper permissions, I even tried giving 777 to everything, deletion still doesn't work, and there is no error in WP or in my server logs to suggest that it's a file permission problem.

Thanks!

11. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

johndeery...I have my blog uploads set to a max of 10 meg.

I was teaching a podcasting class last night and one of my students couldn't upload her mp3 file...only about 1meg. She only had a few small photos uploaded that we could see in the uploads manager.

I looked at her upload directory and there was about 30meg of files there...including the mp3 file that she couldn't upload. So, even if your users are over the upload quota and they try to upload something else it will still upload...they will get the message saying they are over their quota and they need to delete files, but the file still uploads. Now, the problem is, they can't delete these files because they can't see them...so they can no longer upload files since they will always be over their quota.

I believe it's a bug in mu.

Steve

12. johndeery
    Posted 16 years ago #

Steve,

I'm going to check if I have the same error as that. Some behavior I'm noticing now is that if I upload an MP3 and then delete it, it is removed from the server. However, pictures seem to have a problem being removed...I'm wondering if it's because of the thumbnails that WP creates...the code checks to see if the thumbnail is being used elsewhere and if so, won't delete the picture.

I'll let you know when I've done some more tests.

13. johndeery
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just did a few tests with some MP3 files and a few PDFs...nothing...deleting them through either the Manage->Uploads interface or the Write->Upload interface will remove the item from the database, but does not delete the file from the server.

Bug worthy?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep. file it:
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/report
    Login with your username/password from here.

15. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks John...I filed it in the bug tracker.

Steve

16. dspilka
    Posted 15 years ago #

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm seeing the same thing on wpmu 2.6.something. Images get deleted from the media library viewer, but not the file system.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by ekusteve
  • Latest reply from dspilka