The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A simple One-Click-Button to get to "write new post" ? (12 posts)

1. dutchy4c
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have had complaints from people who find it too much hassle to get to the area where they write a new post once they are already logged in. Is there a simple Button or plugin that displays a One-Click-Option to get to the "Write New Post" backend?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

From where? The dashboard/admin area?

Click "write" and it takes you right there.

Other than that, it's no more than 2 clicks away, or better still... a bookmark.

3. dutchy4c
    Posted 16 years ago #

They want it from their main page.., where now it states over every post "edit" to also have a link that takes you straight to a "write New Post" page in the back-end.

4. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

You want http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MU-Admin-Bar. You'll need to massage the code to fit the look and feel of your site. Look into the code and you'll see a straightforward method of putting any link to anything you like as a short cut at the top of the front end pages of any blog.

5. dutchy4c
    Posted 16 years ago #

Since, in my current Theme, there is a line in the index.php that reads:
    <?php edit_post_link('Edit','','|'); ?>
    referring to edit a post, I can not just add a line like:
    <?php post_new_link('New Post','','|'); ?>
    to give me a little text button over every post to link to write a new post?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you try it? It looks liek it'll work.

I've got a login widget with a "write new post" link with it that I could send to you, if you want it.

7. dutchy4c
    Posted 16 years ago #

I tried it, but it gives an error message and I don't really know what to change to get rid of it. If you could send me the plugin, that would be excellent.. I will owe you another one.

Thanks.

8. dutchy4c
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am trying the King Login Widget, have installed and switched on the King Includes first, but as soon as I switch on the King Login I immediately get an error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /home/.kitubah/dutchy4c3/coffeennews.com/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 446

What should I do..?

9. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

I use

<?php
    global $user_ID, $user_identity;
    get_currentuserinfo();

if (!$user_ID):

echo "<li><a href='"; echo get_settings('siteurl') . '/wp-login.php?action=login&redirect_to=' . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; echo "' title='Connectez-vous &agrave; votre compte sur [InDa]Blog. Vous serez automatiquement redirig&eacute; sur cette page'>Connexion</a></li>";
    echo "<li>Pas encore inscrit ? <a href='http://inda-blog.com/wp-signup.php' title='Cr&eacute;ez un compte, et rejoignez la communaut&eacute; !'>Cr&eacute;ez un compte</a> !</li>";
    echo "\n";

else:

echo "<li>\nBonjour, "; echo $user_identity; echo " !</li>";
    echo "<li><a href='"; echo bloginfo('wpurl'); echo "/wp-admin/' title='G&eacute;rez votre blog'>Tableau de Bord</a></li>";
    echo "<li><a href='"; echo bloginfo('wpurl'); echo "/wp-admin/post-new.php' title='Cr&eacute;ez un nouvel article sur votre blog'>Nouvel article</a></li>";
    echo "<li><a href='http://inda-blog.com/wp-signup.php' title='Cr&eacute;ez un nouveau blog associ&eacute; &agrave; votre compte sur [InDa]Blog'>Nouveau blog</a></li>";
    echo "<li><a href='"; echo get_settings('siteurl') . '/wp-login.php?action=logout&redirect_to=' . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; echo "'>D&eacute;connexion</a></li>\n";

endif;

?>

on [InDa]Blog. I think that was adapted from the login anywhere plugin, but I'm not sure.

Seems to work well

10. gostevego
    Posted 15 years ago #

has anybody done this really simplified ajax edit in place thing?

http://www.johntp.com/2006/09/01/wordpress-plugin-edit-n-place/

11. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just to say that @dsader's http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MU-Admin-Bar is No Joy ... not sure what happened to it.

This thread sort of connects with what I'm wondering re: roles/permissions. I'm going to need real fine granularity e.g. not all editors can publish posts (at least not w/o moderation).
    Simplest way to restrict an action is to not offer the page or function at all ... minimal use of multi-purpose Admin-style pages ... show folk no more than they actually need in the moment, and don't display what they don't have perms to use.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not sure either, becasue I just d/l a copy a week or so ago. :D

re: roles - look into the Role Manager plugin. Doesn't work as a sitewide solution, but it *does* work in the regular plugins folder on a blog-by-blog basis.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by dutchy4c
  • Latest reply from andrea_r