The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Interactive documentation or help (5 posts)

1. jsherk
    Posted 16 years ago #

It would be a nice feature in the Edit Blog sub-panel (or proabably in all admin panels for that matter), if there was a little help icon beside each item or field, that when clicked, would open a window with specific information about what that field does, and what acceptable values in the field are.

Alternatively, there could be a help link on each panel and sub-panel that would take you directly to the documents page for that specific panel, which would have all the details of each field or item.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, it would, but traditionally in WP, the line has been to read the Codex. (http://codex.woprdpress.org) The reasoning is that if docs and help are kept out of the code & download package, it makes it very lightweight.

3. jsherk
    Posted 16 years ago #

How about just a link on each panel that takes you to the appropriate page in the Codex?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think you may be overlooking the point though... the documentation would have to exist first, which has been a topic of long debate and the horse has been shot so many times it looks like swiss cheese.

5. jsherk
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm new to WordPress and WPMU, so I ASSUMED (never assume) the documentation was in place, and that I was just unable to find it!

So I guess the point is that it is extremely difficult to find documentation that doesn't exist!!

Thanks

About this Topic