The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to create new blogs (6 posts)

1. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just installed MU at inko.us. When I create a new, second blog in MU, it creates a subdomain for inko.us. For instance, when I created the blog jimmyd, it created jimmyd.inko.us. When I go to jimmyd.inko.us to see it, it's not there. I get redirected to the welcome site administrator/user administrator login page, which basically means my hosting service heasn't heard anything abou thtis.

So I deleted the blog and created the subdomain jimmyd.inko.us in the inko.us control panel, then I recreated the blog. Same result: I'm redirected to the site adminis. user admin login page.

What do I need to do?

In the future, do I need to create the subdomain in my hosting service's control panel before I create the blog in WordPressMU? I'll need to make about 75 blogs, all with subdomain names (I didn't know that's how WordPressMU does it), one for each of my students.

Before I create the blogs in WordPressMU, do I need to create the subdomains in the control panel, and then have my hosting service restart Apache?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You need to read the readme file.

3. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

lunabyte, Thanks. I guess you mean:

DNS
    ===
    If you want to host blogs of the form http://blog.domain.tld/ where
    domain.tld is the domain name of your machine then you must add a
    wildcard record to your DNS records.
    This usually means adding a "*" hostname record pointing at your
    webserver in your DNS configuration tool.
    Matt has a more detailed explanation:
    http://photomatt.net/2003/10/10/wildcard-dns-and-sub-domains/

I'll contact my host, which was kind enough to have installed MU for me.

Given a choice, I'd have the blog URL's be whatever is easiest. I don't have to have subdomains unless MU works that way.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, I meant the entire thing. There's more than one modification required to run subdomains.

Be advised that you may be violating your hosts Terms of Service (in more than one way) by running MU.

5. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

lunabite, thanks for the head's up.

(My host seems okay with MU: as I mentioned, they installed it for me.) :)

6. PeterStephens
    Posted 16 years ago #

My host just fixed my problem. Sorry for the painfully newbie forum topic!

Peter

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by PeterStephens
  • Latest reply from PeterStephens