The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU installed in addon domain! (13 posts)

1. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

just want to if it is possible to install WPMU in addon domain.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

MU is not recommended for shared hosting.

3. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

awww but i just want to try it. Is not recommended so it means i still can use my current shared host account to try MU?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

For pure testing purposes, maybe, although you're better off testing it locally.

5. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

but its still different testing it online. so that i can get feedback from others. so there's no way I can install WPMU in my shared hosting?

thanks for the reply :)

6. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

May want to search the forums for 'shared hosting' as it's been discussed at great length. (ie It's not recommended as wpmu is server level software and it against most hoster's AUP anyway and will probably get you shut down.)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Although you might be able to do it, it's quite likely you will run into problems just installing it, *especially* on a shared host. I'm not even sure if it will install with an add-on domain.

And let's just say you manage to get it running - what if it takes off? you'll be scrambling to move it if you don't get booted.

SO I guess we're both cautioning you against it because it's a huge headache to do it that way when it might not work and if it does, you're creating more potential work for yourself. That's all. :)

8. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not even sure if it will install with an add-on domain.

It can but it's not recommended. You're adding in another layer of redirects and putting unnecessary strain on the server.

I also ran into that issue with missing trailing slashes in the URL which redirect back to the main domain on CPanel. Not sure if that ever got fixed. I think it got closed with a 'worksforme' way back when.

9. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

oh ok guys, thanks for all the reply. Maybe I will register another hosting for MU but still in shared hosting :) I can't afford a VPS account rightnow since I'm not sure if I can handle MU on my own.

10. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

hello again guys, I'm trying now to install WPMU in addon domain and my addon domain is located in my webhost home directory but this error came out...

No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

what does it mean?

and whenever I change the localhost I got this error:

Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localdomain. This could mean your host's database server is down.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    * Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

Did I install the program properly or its just my webhost problem?

11. scarty
    Posted 16 years ago #

By the way, I'm planning to limit the user so can I limit the registration only to my friends? I'm not planning to overloard the WPMU.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you read the readme file?

It doesn't sound like you did.

When that error shows up, it 99% of the time means you created and modified wp-config.php, which again means you didn't RTFM.

13. wildilocks
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, so I did exactly the same as scarty - shared host, want to do an test install and maybe open it up for friends only [not high load], and had same error - I think I input the DB details without the main user and underscore first off, which seems to be required by the shared host. The readme file does *not* tell you how to fix this - but it's easy, just delete the wp-config.php file, and try reinstalling with the corect DB details. Worked fine for me :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by scarty
  • Latest reply from wildilocks