The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address (8 posts)

1. angeljs
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've done a search for this, but can't find anything specific to my problem. One minute I'm logged into the admin panel, then I go to try and delete some spam blogs, but all of a sudden I'm seeing this message:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

When I use IE, the page just seems to be loading indefinately but nothing happens. I've used the program fine right up until this morning, so I can't understand this. :-(

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i've been searching for the answer to this one for a year now. good luck.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pretty much. Anything specific in the error logs? How about a link to your site? What's your install like? Has your host done anything to chance the box that you sit on? (ie Take a look at the debugging page mentioned in the readme file included with the download.)

4. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i suspect my issue has something to do with htaccess. it's not a bug or anything, just poor coding on my part.

5. stzq
    Posted 16 years ago #

i had the same problem.. go to options in admin and in "WordPress address (URL)" and "Blog address (URL)" delete ":80" from your URL.. try it maybe there is problem..

6. uamaan
    Posted 15 years ago #

Login as admin, go to settings and change all address url to include "www.", this will resolve the issue. Basically whats happenning is your .htaccess is directing yourdomain.com/blog to http://www.yourdomain.com/bog, then since blog urls in wordpress contains yourdomain.com/blog, it get redirected by blog to yourdomain.com/blog, which again gets redirected as per .htaccess to http://www.yourdomain.com/blog and this continues endlessly and the domain never get resolved. Firefox is smart to throw error but IE just ends up in infinite loop...

7. somewhereinva
    Posted 15 years ago #

I too was having this problem. To solve it, I needed to deactivate a plugin. More specifically, 'User Permissions' 0.8.4. Per-post user permissions By John Godley. I am looking to alternatives to this fantastic plugin. No disrespect to the plugin author J.Godley intended. There might be a problem with something else, but deactivating this plugin solved the dilemma for me. . . as well as creating a new one. restricting user editing permissions. thanks. somewhereinva.

8. jeremyclarke
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just had this problem with Firefox but it worked fine with Safari and Camino (which is mozilla engine too). I cleared my cookies for the domain and it started working again. Not sure what the problem was but it's another solution to try if you're having this problem.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by angeljs
  • Latest reply from jeremyclarke