The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Update and Spammer Help! (4 posts)

1. Dizzee
    Posted 16 years ago #

My blog (nativ27.com) is being flooded with spammers...
    They are creating new blogs and making the titles 50+ lines long with 100+ links in the title of the blog...
    I have probbally already marked over 200 blogs as spam, in the past few weeks.
    Just today I have started to get them spamming the comment system.
    Over 20, just today.

I am completely new wordpress, but how do i upgrade my wordpress mu??
    is going to Site Admin, and then Upgrade enough??

and how do I get rid of all this spam?!

i have searched the forums, but the threads are flooded with so many post it hard to find the correct answers.
    please please help me!

2. redbox
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh boy, have I been there! I used two fixes which have almost eliminated splog signups on our site.

This thread http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5990 discusses a fix to the links in the title problem. The solution prevents html in the title.

However, I still had the problem with the extremely long list of keywords in the title, even without the html links, and it screwed up my page of latest blog listings. So I edited the signup and edit blog pages to limit how many characters could appear in the blog title, and that took care of that. Instructions are here http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6607 I added the same change to the edit blog file. I've hardly had any splogs sign up since adding this change.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed. nativ27.com is running the 1.2.3 version of the mu software. The current release version is 1.2.5a with 1.3 currently in pre-release.

You may want to upgrade.

4. Dizzee
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have never upgaded before, and I dont want to mess anything up?
    How do I do this step by step??
    And what does Site Admin > Upgrade do??

About this Topic