The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using Kubrick Theme Styler borks other Kubrick-based header images (12 posts)

1. jonimueller
    Posted 18 years ago #

I have set up several Kubrick-based themes for my pet-themed WPMU site. A majority of them use the ubiquitous Kubrick header. I found that when I went into a test blog and started fidding with the header colors, backgrounds, fonts, etc., that seemed to override ALL the Kubrick headers for that blog. In other words, if I then wanted to switch to another Kubrick based theme, that theme's header was NOT used; rather the header from the "Default" theme remained in place. When I, in frustration, deleted the kubrickheader.jpg image from the /default directory, I was greeted with a nice big fat white blank space instead of the theme's original header. Hmm.

All the non-Kubrick based themes worked just fine.

Is there a way to disable the Kubrick header color switcher so this doesn't happen with another user?

2. fimion
    Posted 18 years ago #

you did change the paths for the css stylesheets and the images in them.... right?

3. jonimueller
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes, each theme is in a separate directory and calls to the /image subdirectory in each where each specific kubrickheader.jpg is found for that particular theme.

I decided to delete the "Default" theme and just go with another theme. I sneakily renamed it "Default" and now when a new user signs up, he/she gets the "new" Default theme.

It would be nice to figure out what's going on, tho, as it seems kind of fun to play around with the header image colors and fonts.

4. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having the same problem. I skinned a Kubrick theme, and in the Admin "Presentation > Header Image and Colors" I was tinkering around with the color picker etc, once set I could not revert it. It took me a while of turning on an off themes etc, before it would revert.

How can I disable this Header Image & Color panel for my skinned Kubrick themes?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Comment it out in the original theme.

6. petiteproxy
    Posted 17 years ago #

commenting out usually works, if only I knew where in the code it is allowing for this "Header Image & Color" panel to work.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

In the kubrick theme, there's a lot of stuff (especially css-type stuff) hardcoded right in header.php. Or look in functions.php. Both of those are in the theme's folder.

8. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm actually curious as to why the kubrick default is the default theme in the wpmu 1.0 release. Having a customizable theme that changes all blogs that use the theme is bad, the theme does not natively support widgets and is in general poorly designed when looking at easy commenting out of the header switch function.

Is there any way possible that the incredibly speedy souls at wp.com might be willing to release the kubrick theme they use to the wpmu dev crew along with a few other badly needed plugins to really make wpmu sing? (avatars, a fixed/locked down version of the header image editing ability).

Obviously wp.com is a for profit endeavor but at the very least making some of the wordpress.com plugins avilable at a commercial rate would allow new plugins to be developed rather than all of us continually having to reinvent the wheel before even thinking of new plugins.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The kubrick in MU is the exact same version in WP, that's why it's there. Personally, I hate it and agree with you. But the devs (including those behind wp.com) like it.

An no, it doesn't support widgets, but when you get the widgets plugin, the files are included to update the two default themes.

I dunno how willing they'd be over at wp.com to release stuff. My guess is not very. :-/

It would help if more of the entire community shared too. I know there is more out there offering highly customizable themes, including changing the header on (I think) every single one of the many they offer, and a couple of nice requests have been met with silence.

10. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like the actual theme when used with single user wordpress. I'd rather see the version used at wordpress.com (complete with fixes) then just releasing the badly broken theme the way it is now in Wpmu. Having broken code will only cause problems.

I completely agree with the sharing aspect. It's one of the problems faced with OS that is usually used for profit (like WPMU is over wp).

If there is a requirement to use kubrick great, can we at least remove the theme bits from it until such time as a non plugin theme fix can be found?

Actually going way off topic, how does one join the dev team on wpmu? Cash donations to donncha?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"how does one join the dev team on wpmu? "

You get hired by Automattic.

12. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

oic. I was under the impression that the open source fork of wpmu was independently being developed since much of the source code of wordpress.com was obviously not present in wpmu 1.0

While it's definitely their decision it's unfortunate that in some ways we're getting the dregs of the work done since many of the bugs and other issues with the public release aren't fixed anywhere but wordpress.com.

Oh well it'll all work for the best :D I still <3 wordpress and wpmu.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by jonimueller
  • Latest reply from corourke